Adding butterfly: fins for drills?

So I'm new to Masters (few months) and fairly new to swimming (few years). I keep up fine at Masters practice with freestyle in my usual (second slowest) lane. Wanting to add butterfly so I can do IM parts of practice. As I do some basic beginner's drills, will my fairly short training fins help me to get a better feel for stroke and dolphin kick, or just lead to bad habits? And if using a board to build up endurance on dolphin kick, any tips on getting downward chest action involved while using board? I'm guessing my current dolphin kick is very hip/knee driven. Thanks!
Parents
  • I normally don't recommend the use of fins, especially for swimmers who are just starting out. This is because, in my opinion, it is better to start off without any tools and figure out issues like timing and kick and core strength, etc. on your own ability. Fins tend to deceive you into thinking that you have a stronger kick than you actually do, and they also encourage a shorter, choppier and less finished kick that comes more from the knees as opposed to the core - especially for beginner swimmers. They can also be addictive....once you put them on, you tend to dislike the "slower" feeling that you get without them and thus tend to wear them for longer and longer periods of time. That being said, fins (especially shorter fins) can also be a great help for discovering and developing new areas of strength in your kick after you have developed the technique for the butterfly on your own. As long as you make sure to take a break from the fins, they can be of help as opposed to harm. I wrote this "10 misconceptions about swimming" article that you might find helpful : www.swimspire.com/10-misconceptions-swimming/
  • I normally don't recommend the use of fins, especially for swimmers who are just starting out. This is because, in my opinion, it is better to start off without any tools and figure out issues like timing and kick and core strength, etc. on your own ability. Fins tend to deceive you into thinking that you have a stronger kick than you actually do, and they also encourage a shorter, choppier and less finished kick that comes more from the knees as opposed to the core - especially for beginner swimmers. They can also be addictive....once you put them on, you tend to dislike the "slower" feeling that you get without them and thus tend to wear them for longer and longer periods of time. That being said, fins (especially shorter fins) can also be a great help for discovering and developing new areas of strength in your kick after you have developed the technique for the butterfly on your own. As long as you make sure to take a break from the fins, they can be of help as opposed to harm. I wrote this "10 misconceptions about swimming" article that you might find helpful : www.swimspire.com/10-misconceptions-swimming/
Children
No Data