Help with Swimmers Stroke Speed

Hi Everyone, I have one question. I have a swimmer who I have tried to help speed up her rotation. She cannot seem to get into the sprinting habit (She is not a long distance swimmer, but she very well could be with this stroke). She is in high school and it affects all her strokes where she enters the water and holds her glide too long. I have tried to get her to "skip over" reaching as fast as she can to try and have her feel a totally different stroke. Does anyone have any dryland or stroke techniques that they utilize to work on faster arm repetition? Thanks!
Parents
  • I would advise caution with the Tempo Trainer. Sure, it may force the swimmer to speed up the stroke rate , but at the potential expense of the foundation of her technique. The swimmer may move her arms faster, but how is the strength and efficiency of the pull? Where is the hand entering the water? How is her recovery?, etc. What is important to understand is that "turning over faster" is not necessarily going to guarantee a faster swim. There are many more parts to the technique that need to be fine-tuned in order to increase the speed of the stroke. Water is 800 times denser than air, and the swimmer is going to struggle if she is windmilling through the water but not gaining distance for the strokes that she is taking. You mentioned that she waves her hand before she pulls - which points to a balance/core strength/kick strength issue. That is not going to be resolved with the Tempo trainer. You may want to try working on single arm in order to effectively eliminate that habit, under supervision.
  • I would advise caution with the Tempo Trainer. Sure, it may force the swimmer to speed up the stroke rate , but at the potential expense of the foundation of her technique. The swimmer may move her arms faster, but how is the strength and efficiency of the pull? Where is the hand entering the water? How is her recovery?, etc. What is important to understand is that "turning over faster" is not necessarily going to guarantee a faster swim. There are many more parts to the technique that need to be fine-tuned in order to increase the speed of the stroke. Water is 800 times denser than air, and the swimmer is going to struggle if she is windmilling through the water but not gaining distance for the strokes that she is taking. You mentioned that she waves her hand before she pulls - which points to a balance/core strength/kick strength issue. That is not going to be resolved with the Tempo trainer. You may want to try working on single arm in order to effectively eliminate that habit, under supervision.
Children
No Data