Help with Swimmers Stroke Speed

Hi Everyone, I have one question. I have a swimmer who I have tried to help speed up her rotation. She cannot seem to get into the sprinting habit (She is not a long distance swimmer, but she very well could be with this stroke). She is in high school and it affects all her strokes where she enters the water and holds her glide too long. I have tried to get her to "skip over" reaching as fast as she can to try and have her feel a totally different stroke. Does anyone have any dryland or stroke techniques that they utilize to work on faster arm repetition? Thanks!
Parents
  • At age 56 this is exactly my struggle. How do I speed up the tempo? For the last several months I have been without a coach. (I'm in the ME.) But his words have echoed in my mind, "Stop thinking and just swim!" Easier said then done! To help me overcome this I have started replacing the mechanics of swimming in my head with the counting of a beat 1-2, 1-2 when swimming a fast set. I have seen improvement in all my strokes and plan to purchase a tempo trainer when I get back to the states. Maybe give her a beat and ask her to focus on that when you want her to swim a fast set.
  • At age 56 this is exactly my struggle. How do I speed up the tempo? For the last several months I have been without a coach. (I'm in the ME.) But his words have echoed in my mind, "Stop thinking and just swim!" Easier said then done! To help me overcome this I have started replacing the mechanics of swimming in my head with the counting of a beat 1-2, 1-2 when swimming a fast set. I have seen improvement in all my strokes and plan to purchase a tempo trainer when I get back to the states. Maybe give her a beat and ask her to focus on that when you want her to swim a fast set.
Children
No Data