Returning to training after injury

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, After having some trouble with a sore shoulder due to instability in the shoulder joint I've quit the pool for 2 weeks. Been to a physiotherapist which suggested strenghtening the rotatorcuff muscles, bicep tendons and general core stability of the shoulder. I've been doing these exercices and have noticed some improvement in the stability so I decided to go back to the pool last weekend (after talking to my physio first). My first session was a short 1500m workout with no intensity or toys used. Two days later I went back to the pool, this time for a planned 2000m session focussing on endurance, using the pullbuoy for a total of 500m of the session, the rest was just frontcrawl and some kicking. During the training I felt my shoulder playing up again so I ended my training early. So I am doing something wrong obviously. I don't really see how I could make my sessions even easier on my shoulder? Basicly I'm puzzled about how to resume training and remain pain-free while recovering. Any advice?
Parents
  • I wish I liked kicking more LOL. I've been out of the pool for about two months with a neck/shoulder injury and rotator cuff soreness. I've done deep water aerobics with a flotation belt, but it's not the same. I crave being in the lap lane. So I go over, do a couple laps, and regret it later when the injury flares up. My therapist says the best thing is to do PT and rest, build strength in the surrounding muscles, and when the injury is gone, start slowly. I don't know if that would work for you. I'm impatient but the pain I'm in makes me too tired to do much, anyway.
  • I wish I liked kicking more LOL. I've been out of the pool for about two months with a neck/shoulder injury and rotator cuff soreness. I've done deep water aerobics with a flotation belt, but it's not the same. I crave being in the lap lane. So I go over, do a couple laps, and regret it later when the injury flares up. My therapist says the best thing is to do PT and rest, build strength in the surrounding muscles, and when the injury is gone, start slowly. I don't know if that would work for you. I'm impatient but the pain I'm in makes me too tired to do much, anyway.
Children
No Data