Returning to training after injury

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, After having some trouble with a sore shoulder due to instability in the shoulder joint I've quit the pool for 2 weeks. Been to a physiotherapist which suggested strenghtening the rotatorcuff muscles, bicep tendons and general core stability of the shoulder. I've been doing these exercices and have noticed some improvement in the stability so I decided to go back to the pool last weekend (after talking to my physio first). My first session was a short 1500m workout with no intensity or toys used. Two days later I went back to the pool, this time for a planned 2000m session focussing on endurance, using the pullbuoy for a total of 500m of the session, the rest was just frontcrawl and some kicking. During the training I felt my shoulder playing up again so I ended my training early. So I am doing something wrong obviously. I don't really see how I could make my sessions even easier on my shoulder? Basicly I'm puzzled about how to resume training and remain pain-free while recovering. Any advice?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have bicep tendinitis in my right shoulder (from another injury, not swimming) and a pinched nerve between my C6-7 vertebrae so I am familiar with this type of injury. I also had major loss of strength in my tricep with numbness so recovery has been slow. I continued going to Master's workouts with a major focus on kicking. Do you have fins? I usually use them for a large chunk of my workout in order to protect my shoulder while I recover - basically my right arm is "just going through the motions" while I am kicking and pulling with my left. The rest of my workout is easy swimming and A LOT of kicking without fins. My coach has me doing a lot of kicking with my arms at my side with my snorkel so it takes pressure off my shoulder. I can also streamline kick but occasionally it bothers me so I switch it up. When the injury was at the worst I did not use a board for kicking because it was uncomfortable, sometimes painful. And probably no buoy until you are more recovered. My other advice is to keep doing Rotator Cuff strengthening with the advice of a physical therapist. I still go 2 times a week and the work I do (and exercises at home) has really helped. I am now back to swimming almost completely pain-free, just working on regaining strength.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have bicep tendinitis in my right shoulder (from another injury, not swimming) and a pinched nerve between my C6-7 vertebrae so I am familiar with this type of injury. I also had major loss of strength in my tricep with numbness so recovery has been slow. I continued going to Master's workouts with a major focus on kicking. Do you have fins? I usually use them for a large chunk of my workout in order to protect my shoulder while I recover - basically my right arm is "just going through the motions" while I am kicking and pulling with my left. The rest of my workout is easy swimming and A LOT of kicking without fins. My coach has me doing a lot of kicking with my arms at my side with my snorkel so it takes pressure off my shoulder. I can also streamline kick but occasionally it bothers me so I switch it up. When the injury was at the worst I did not use a board for kicking because it was uncomfortable, sometimes painful. And probably no buoy until you are more recovered. My other advice is to keep doing Rotator Cuff strengthening with the advice of a physical therapist. I still go 2 times a week and the work I do (and exercises at home) has really helped. I am now back to swimming almost completely pain-free, just working on regaining strength.
Children
No Data