Avoid Back Pain with Backstroke

Former Member
Former Member
I've got gobs of joint issues with my hip and spine and find backstroke irritates them quite badly. I've avoided doing it, but miss it and wonder if there's any way to do a backstroke safely. I assume the problem comes with the very slight arch in my lumbar that comes with the arm pull in backstroke. That and my shoulders aren't very flexible, so I have to twist a lot to get decent purchase on the water. Can anyone recommend technique adjustments that might protect my spine and allow me some semblance of a normal backstroke? Thx in advance, Jon
Parents
  • ... in addition to torso and lower body flexibility I've been out of the water for a long while, but I will second the stretching/flexibility advice. I try to spend 10-15 minutes every day or two stretching. Nothing too exotic, just with a focus on hips and lower back. It sure helps sleeping. I no longer seem to wake up with a sore back. I also have a standing desk setup on order at work. I credit/blame sitting at a desk all day for most people's back problems.
  • ... in addition to torso and lower body flexibility I've been out of the water for a long while, but I will second the stretching/flexibility advice. I try to spend 10-15 minutes every day or two stretching. Nothing too exotic, just with a focus on hips and lower back. It sure helps sleeping. I no longer seem to wake up with a sore back. I also have a standing desk setup on order at work. I credit/blame sitting at a desk all day for most people's back problems.
Children
No Data