feedback on a workout for a new swimmer

Hi, I have a friend who swims four mornings a week for 45 minutes. She is interested in joining a Masters team but wants to "get in shape first." I tried to explain that is what the practices are for, but she still would like to swim more on her own first, and I promised to give her some workout and stroke drill ideas. She is a lifelong athlete, now in her late 40s. She swims freestyle and, to a lesser extent, backstroke. She doesn't count her laps, but thinks she swims about 40 to 50 in a session. I looked in the workouts forum for ideas, but they all (even the "basic' workouts) seemed pretty complicated and advanced for someone who has not been on a team before. Would someone please give me feedback on this sample workout for a novice (see below)? I'm trying to introduce rest intervals, use of the pace clock, some basics of body position (head looking down and pressing your "buoy"), and working in a little more backstroke. Also the idea of varying your speed. Once she has a sense of how long a 25 and 50 take, she could begin some interval training. In addition to feedback on the practice below, other ideas for sets and workouts would be most welcome...thanks! Warmup 300 swim, breathing every 3 strokes and concentrating on exhaling gently through her nose. (She said that breathing is a challenge, and my guess is that she may be holding her breath.) Pre-set 8 x 50 with fins, :15 rest interval (RI). Odds freestyle and evens backstroke. Because fins are fun. Six-kick switch drill on the way up, concentrating on body position (I would give her more details on how to do this.) Backstroke kick in streamline position on the way back I'd suggest that she note her times in order to add on some interval training in a future workout Main set Repeat 4 times (odds are freestyle and evens are backstroke): 25 build, :10 RI 50 fast, :10 RI 25 easy, :10 RI Cool-down Between 100 and 200 nice and easy. Focus on relaxed breathing/exhale and body position.
Parents
  • As someone who just started swimming with a Master's group recently, and who is close to your friend's age, I can relate. At times, the coach for the day will hold up a dry erase board with five different sets with about four elements within each set, and although I nod my head and say, OK, I inwardly say, "You've got to be kidding." I think experienced swimmers have a sense of the logic and typical groupings, which makes it easier to remember everything. Like her, I only have two strokes in my repertoire, so be sure she knows it's fine to substitute. And in the groups I've been with, especially in the slower lanes where I hang out, people are fine with it if you have to abandon the workout set and do your own thing, either because you can't keep it straight or don't have the conditioning to do it. But I have always been careful if I have to abandon the "script" not to do anything to get in the way of of those who are still following it. I think the fins are a good idea, and you might also try to figure out which Masters group she'd swim with and see if the local coach can send you a couple of sample workouts she can do on her own. Bottom line, I've worked out with three different groups due to travel, and all three have been very encouraging and helpful as I've tried to figure it out!
  • As someone who just started swimming with a Master's group recently, and who is close to your friend's age, I can relate. At times, the coach for the day will hold up a dry erase board with five different sets with about four elements within each set, and although I nod my head and say, OK, I inwardly say, "You've got to be kidding." I think experienced swimmers have a sense of the logic and typical groupings, which makes it easier to remember everything. Like her, I only have two strokes in my repertoire, so be sure she knows it's fine to substitute. And in the groups I've been with, especially in the slower lanes where I hang out, people are fine with it if you have to abandon the workout set and do your own thing, either because you can't keep it straight or don't have the conditioning to do it. But I have always been careful if I have to abandon the "script" not to do anything to get in the way of of those who are still following it. I think the fins are a good idea, and you might also try to figure out which Masters group she'd swim with and see if the local coach can send you a couple of sample workouts she can do on her own. Bottom line, I've worked out with three different groups due to travel, and all three have been very encouraging and helpful as I've tried to figure it out!
Children
No Data