LCM

LCM is the Olympic distance and my favorite venue,but even though it is "long course" it gets short shrift. With SCY Nationals completed,my thoughts turn to LCM,but here in Oregon,and I suppose many other LMSCs, most swimmers either think about open water or about vacations. Many areas don't have easy access to 50M pools,but I find I can train SCY to swim LCM with a few modifications.It can be hard to find meets though.In Oregon,I have been told by coaches, that it is hard to schedule LCM meets since almost every weekend has an open water swim scheduled.Open water is fine for the people who like it,but come on,LCM is the Olympic distance. LCM Nationals tends to attract about half the entries that SCY Nationals does,for a variety of reasons,but I would hope that more of you would accept the challenge.Try it,you'll like it.
  • i was only getting to do 1 day of scy a week for the last 6 weeks. the rest has been nothing but lcm. just like the 3600m we did this morning.So that's your secret sauce for SCY butt-kicking ;)
  • Allen, If you want to race LCM this summer, you have to just bite the bullet and move to SoCal - www.spmasterswim.org/.../ - or spend a lot of time on planes. While we will have some good LCM meets here in AZ, as Tim noted, our turnout for LCM vs SCY is 50% at best. Factors include heat and vacations (which go hand-in-hand as many Arizonans like to escape here in the summer) and pool access (while we have a lot of LCM pools, they are slammed in the summer with kids' meets), but the over-riding factor dampening turnout across the country, I believe, is that LCM is just much, much harder to race. You can "fake it" through just about any SCY/SCM event regardless of your training, but if you haven't put in the LCM work, LCM racing is brutal. I think that turns people off.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Just my two cents, but here in Illinois, I think the greatest impediment to having LCM meets is the relative lack of LCM pools. I'm aware of only a few in the Chicago area, most affiliated with local universities. If a new pool was to be built at a YMCA, health club or other non-college venue, what are the odds that they would build anything other than a SCY pool? check 50 miles south of Evanston - Munster Highschool and Lake Central Highschool - both LCM/SCY pools built within the last 5 years in Northwest Indiana and atleast one of them hosts a LCM meet in June each year
  • i was only getting to do 1 day of scy a week for the last 6 weeks. the rest has been nothing but lcm. just like the 3600m we did this morning. Pay attention runner-ups in the M45-49 200 & 500 fr events at the recent Nats.
  • i swam with both Stewart at christmas (he killed me) and PWB with me at austin gp (we were dead even). going in i thought i might be lucky to get 3rd in the 500. on the flip side, my sprinting felt totally flat. no sharpness, didnt feel like i had any speed at all. and my turns while sprinting showed i cant see the wall at all! it's called RACING! not show up and give me a trophy.
  • i swam with both Stewart at christmas (he killed me) and PWB with me at austin gp (we were dead even). IDK what your workouts are like, but Stewart's are outrageous! Who practices with shingles? Probably nobody beats Stewart in practice. ... going in i thought i might be lucky to get 3rd in the 500. Hey, hey, hey that belongs in a different thread... the one about sandbagging;) on the flip side, my sprinting felt totally flat. no sharpness, didnt feel like i had any speed at all. and my turns while sprinting showed i cant see the wall at all! it's called RACING! not show up and give me a trophy. Indeed, and you put down some great swims.
  • it's called RACING! not show up and give me a trophy. And you're a racer. I think that much is pretty clear!
  • IDK what your workouts are like, but Stewart's are outrageous! Who practices with shingles? Probably nobody beats Stewart in practice. mine are not his and his are not mine. his are boarderline insane. i know i've swam with him at his. well the McRib and i are pretty much the same except for he is 6'5 hairless wookie and im 5'9 fuzzball ewok.....i had shingles last year and trained through them. let me put it in perspective: when the McRib and i train together...it's pretty much racing the entire time. not so much at 99% but pegged at 100% seeing who pukes 1st. give him paddles and a buoy and that man is GONE!
  • speaking of which....where were you? mia from SA
  • I'm looking to do some LCM this summer, but the two meets near me are the exact same weekend. Might have to go to Nationals...