LCM

LCM is the Olympic distance and my favorite venue,but even though it is "long course" it gets short shrift. With SCY Nationals completed,my thoughts turn to LCM,but here in Oregon,and I suppose many other LMSCs, most swimmers either think about open water or about vacations. Many areas don't have easy access to 50M pools,but I find I can train SCY to swim LCM with a few modifications.It can be hard to find meets though.In Oregon,I have been told by coaches, that it is hard to schedule LCM meets since almost every weekend has an open water swim scheduled.Open water is fine for the people who like it,but come on,LCM is the Olympic distance. LCM Nationals tends to attract about half the entries that SCY Nationals does,for a variety of reasons,but I would hope that more of you would accept the challenge.Try it,you'll like it.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Allen, Nice topic. We have the same issue in Germany. Masters swimming is growing up here and becoming more popular. 5 years ago there is a new event beeing generated: the german SCM championchips. Every year since than the number of entrance is growing up and this year this event will expand from 2 to 3 days including more events. So you have now 3 national events: german masters LCM "long distance" includig some of the 200m strokes in april, than you have the german LCM "short distance" in june and the new german SCM champion chips in november. If you want swim some of the internationals events like european masters championchips or the worlds...you have no chance to be in good or best shape everywhere around. The reason why SCM are more popular is simple: If you don't train enough as masters swimmer, you don't want feel the pain. The SCM events you can swim always with less effort and input so you going out there and don't care. LCM is always painfull, LCM is just a question of character. I love the LCM, I love the pain and I enjoy the winnings more at LCM events.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Allen, Nice topic. We have the same issue in Germany. Masters swimming is growing up here and becoming more popular. 5 years ago there is a new event beeing generated: the german SCM championchips. Every year since than the number of entrance is growing up and this year this event will expand from 2 to 3 days including more events. So you have now 3 national events: german masters LCM "long distance" includig some of the 200m strokes in april, than you have the german LCM "short distance" in june and the new german SCM champion chips in november. If you want swim some of the internationals events like european masters championchips or the worlds...you have no chance to be in good or best shape everywhere around. The reason why SCM are more popular is simple: If you don't train enough as masters swimmer, you don't want feel the pain. The SCM events you can swim always with less effort and input so you going out there and don't care. LCM is always painfull, LCM is just a question of character. I love the LCM, I love the pain and I enjoy the winnings more at LCM events.
Children
No Data