A funny from swim meet

Former Member
Former Member
The bleachers at this meet are setup about 18 inches from the edge of the pool. If you are sitting on the bottom row you will get splashed as the swimmer in lane one goes by. So, 1st heat of boys open 400 IM. The young man in lane one is an older boy--maybe 17 or 18 and very well built... He is a big boy who was struggling a bit with the fly. He swims past as his mother and other swim moms from his team cheer him on. He turns, and as he is backstroking past the bleachers and his cheering fans he says, "THIS SUCKS!" The bleachers erupt into laughter. His poor mother was mortified! All she could say was, "Only my son, only my son!" What other funny things have you heard at swim meets?
Parents
  • After decades of youth coaching, I saw this at my first LC masters meet. Another coach of a medium-sized team dutifully paced the length of the pool closest to whichever lane any of his swimmers were in. Taking splits and notes, he'd occasionally give a well-placed hoot or holler of encouragement. At the 125 mark of a women's 200 back, his middle-aged, middle of the pack swimmer looked straight at him and yelled, "Where are they?" It wasn't a particularly loud moment, so we heard his reply, "What?" She then asked more clearly, "How far ahead are they?" After a quick look he told her, "About 10 meters." The conversation then ended with a polite, "Thanks." She didn't make any changes or swim differently after that, she was just curious. That's the moment I new I'd entered a new swimming world.:banana:
  • After decades of youth coaching, I saw this at my first LC masters meet. Another coach of a medium-sized team dutifully paced the length of the pool closest to whichever lane any of his swimmers were in. Taking splits and notes, he'd occasionally give a well-placed hoot or holler of encouragement. At the 125 mark of a women's 200 back, his middle-aged, middle of the pack swimmer looked straight at him and yelled, "Where are they?" It wasn't a particularly loud moment, so we heard his reply, "What?" She then asked more clearly, "How far ahead are they?" After a quick look he told her, "About 10 meters." The conversation then ended with a polite, "Thanks." She didn't make any changes or swim differently after that, she was just curious. That's the moment I new I'd entered a new swimming world.:banana:
Children
No Data