Do I need to take it slow?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm new to swimming, not new to running. When you start out running you have to be careful about not increasing the workload too quickly because of impact/connective tissue/etc, because you may get injured. I'm wondering if this is the case with swimming? Last night I did a workout of a 50yd free warmup, 4 sets of , a 50, 6x75, 5x100. That was only the second workout I've ever done (the first was a week ago, basically half the total distance.) I was practicing keeping high elbows, a motion I'm not used to. Disregarding whether I'm actually capable of swimming 10,000 yards aerobically and "muscularly" at the moment, is there any reason why I should force myself to build up in bits and pieces at a time, rather than do as much as I can?
Parents
  • I agree 100% with Julia. I'm off swimming for at least another week, possibly more, because of a neck and shoulder injury that could have been caused by overuse, or could be something else like arthritis. I did a measly 30 laps a couple weeks ago after having lifted weights (not shoulder sets) at the gym, and now I'm back in physical therapy. If I could afford a private swim coach, I'd get one. Although my technique isn't bad and when I'm swimming freestyle I do not feel any discomfort, the aftermath has been painful. I cry when I read about how others are doing miles in open water, and now I can't even swim a couple of laps. Boo, hiss. So take it easy, get a coach, and build slowly because no matter how enthusiastic you are, no matter how good you feel in the water, you can suffer overuse injuries if you are not careful.
  • I agree 100% with Julia. I'm off swimming for at least another week, possibly more, because of a neck and shoulder injury that could have been caused by overuse, or could be something else like arthritis. I did a measly 30 laps a couple weeks ago after having lifted weights (not shoulder sets) at the gym, and now I'm back in physical therapy. If I could afford a private swim coach, I'd get one. Although my technique isn't bad and when I'm swimming freestyle I do not feel any discomfort, the aftermath has been painful. I cry when I read about how others are doing miles in open water, and now I can't even swim a couple of laps. Boo, hiss. So take it easy, get a coach, and build slowly because no matter how enthusiastic you are, no matter how good you feel in the water, you can suffer overuse injuries if you are not careful.
Children
No Data