Do I need to take it slow?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm new to swimming, not new to running. When you start out running you have to be careful about not increasing the workload too quickly because of impact/connective tissue/etc, because you may get injured. I'm wondering if this is the case with swimming? Last night I did a workout of a 50yd free warmup, 4 sets of , a 50, 6x75, 5x100. That was only the second workout I've ever done (the first was a week ago, basically half the total distance.) I was practicing keeping high elbows, a motion I'm not used to. Disregarding whether I'm actually capable of swimming 10,000 yards aerobically and "muscularly" at the moment, is there any reason why I should force myself to build up in bits and pieces at a time, rather than do as much as I can?
Parents
  • And our idea of hill training is swimming with a drag chute (just so you know). My pool is uphill heading out of the deep end and downhill heading the other way. Sometimes feels like uphill both ways.:D
  • And our idea of hill training is swimming with a drag chute (just so you know). My pool is uphill heading out of the deep end and downhill heading the other way. Sometimes feels like uphill both ways.:D
Children
No Data