How "fluid" is swimming?

So I'm a middle-aged guy who took up swimming a few years ago--and loves it! Not a great swimmer, but a person who has pretty solid mechanics in three sports. So here's my prologue, then my question. Some actions are fluid: running, shooting a layup with normal elevation. By fluid, I mean you transfer the energy forward in a continuous motion without "cocking" or "setting up" the next stride, or the upward motion off the court. Other actions we may call "fluid," but they are not: high jumping, a tennis serve, swinging a golf club. In all these, there is a hesitation (very slight) while one gathers so that energy can be properly delivered to the key motion. A tennis serve should be smooth, but if there's not that instant when you are setting yourself up for the explosive movement, then it will never be a powerful serve. So which is swimming? Specifically, the reach in freestyle? I know you are not supposed to have a "dead spot" in your stroke, but is the idea a continual forward rolling motion, or does one stay relaxed, yet **** a bit, or set up each reach? Is it a flywheel, or is it a smooth, relaxed succession of spear thrusts with a little torque behind them? Not sure that it matters, but in my case I'm asking as someone who has (or at least tries to have) more of a hip driven stroke. I've had a little coaching and have read a lot of stuff, but I can't say I know the answer. Thanks for considering this!
Parents
  • Thanks for the feedback. My use of "fluid" is pretty slippery. Re layup/high jump, a layup at regular elevation is a controlled movement that just uses the natural force that's already there moving forward, with the emphasis on balance and smoothness, whereas a high-jumper is preparing for an explosive move. Put another way, a layup at regular elevation is just the next stride going slightly upward rather than forward. When I watch competitive swimmers filmed underwater, there seems to be a slight hesitation before the catch, but I think the reference to "riding the glide" probably explains that better then sort of setting up for the catch, which I had suggested as a possibility. If I might ask a follow-up question, is it fair to say then, if the motion is continuous (except maybe for the glide), then is the motion at least accelerated slightly as one begins the catch? I guess at the heart of my question is whether I'm being too lazy when I reach forward. I can swim with a very consistent tempo, kind of like a paddle boat, if I just don't reach out too far, and if I keep a consistent amount of force through my core. This is very fluid, but it's also slower than if I am intentionally more aggressive with the catch so that I really reach out there. Thanks again for the conversation; I've always been sort of a mechanics wonk when it comes to sports, and this is part of the fun of swimming and improving for me.
  • Thanks for the feedback. My use of "fluid" is pretty slippery. Re layup/high jump, a layup at regular elevation is a controlled movement that just uses the natural force that's already there moving forward, with the emphasis on balance and smoothness, whereas a high-jumper is preparing for an explosive move. Put another way, a layup at regular elevation is just the next stride going slightly upward rather than forward. When I watch competitive swimmers filmed underwater, there seems to be a slight hesitation before the catch, but I think the reference to "riding the glide" probably explains that better then sort of setting up for the catch, which I had suggested as a possibility. If I might ask a follow-up question, is it fair to say then, if the motion is continuous (except maybe for the glide), then is the motion at least accelerated slightly as one begins the catch? I guess at the heart of my question is whether I'm being too lazy when I reach forward. I can swim with a very consistent tempo, kind of like a paddle boat, if I just don't reach out too far, and if I keep a consistent amount of force through my core. This is very fluid, but it's also slower than if I am intentionally more aggressive with the catch so that I really reach out there. Thanks again for the conversation; I've always been sort of a mechanics wonk when it comes to sports, and this is part of the fun of swimming and improving for me.
Children
No Data