Am I too old to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello all! I've browsed the forums a bit but this is my first real post. I guess I should start with my background. I am a 21 year old personal trainer who recently fell in love with swimming. Before I started swimming I was a competitive weight lifter. I started training about 4 months ago and I swim about 20 hours a week and I'm still in the process of trimming my weight down. I was really inspired to start trying to get competitive but because of my age and height (5'9) i got kinda turned off. Is there any hope of me competing at a moderately high level at my height and age? I know I only have 3 years till I move up a bracket in nationals so I was curious on others opinions if I was just wasting my time.
Parents
  • You're never too old or too short or even too slow. However if you're interested in competing at nationals and you're swimming 20 hours a week you're probably wasting your time. Even if you want to swim the 1650, that's an outrageous amount of time in the pool. What do you want to race?
  • You're never too old or too short or even too slow. However if you're interested in competing at nationals and you're swimming 20 hours a week you're probably wasting your time. Even if you want to swim the 1650, that's an outrageous amount of time in the pool. What do you want to race?
Children
No Data