Extra weight, less arm extension, faster swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, thanks in advance. I'm out of the pool and back in the ocean for the next 7 months! :banana: I have no competitive background, but love working on my technique whenever I get the bug to time myself. I swim a mile per session about 4-5 per week. I'm swimming a mile in 30 minutes right now. I could maybe do 28 if you had a gun to my head. I'd like to get down to 24-25 by the end of this season. I have a couple questions regarding this. I am 6'1" tall and my weight should be 185-190, but I am 210 right now. I will be back to 190 by late summer. If you were to guess how much would the 20 pounds lost speed up my mile time? I can speed up my stroke rate quite easily by not reaching for that full extension. When you speed up your stroke rate is there a small reduction in the arm extension that you achieve. When I sprint for fun I don't extend near as much and I am thinking I need to reduce the extension just a tad to help with pulling the arm down for the first 6 inches when typically your arm is fully extended and the muscles are in a weak position. I'm not an overglider, but I have pretty good technique and I get a good arm extension. Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    No time reference for lbs lost, but if you do open water then a longer pull is what you want for the distance. Thanks...I'll post back after I lose the weight in this thread and see if I feel there is any significant reduction in my time. I laser measured a perfect mile distance in the ocean after two years of just guessing it was a mile. I wasn't too far off, but now I have to swim an extra 200 yards to get the full mile in.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    No time reference for lbs lost, but if you do open water then a longer pull is what you want for the distance. Thanks...I'll post back after I lose the weight in this thread and see if I feel there is any significant reduction in my time. I laser measured a perfect mile distance in the ocean after two years of just guessing it was a mile. I wasn't too far off, but now I have to swim an extra 200 yards to get the full mile in.
Children
No Data