Newbie coming out of LONG retirement

I swam as a junior until I was 15, then took a long break until I started doing triathlons at age 50, and am now coming up on my 62nd birthday. Really enjoy my swimming so decided to come out of my competitive swimming "retirement" and enter a Masters meet in June. Going to limit myself to 50M and 100M for now, but down the road would like to start swimming IM again. No expectations; I figure I'll be left in the wake during the first heats, but just want to have some fun and see how I can do. Any words of wisdom? Mark
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Agree with what many have said. Technique and training methods have changed drastically and you can definitely use that to your advantage now. Take it slow, learn some new tricks and have fun. After a 17 year break myself, I found masters competitions to be super motivating and fun - no pressure except what you put on yourself, and an open and accepting community of folks. I still get nerves before a race, but I think that is a good thing. But now I have the age, wisdom and other aspects of my life to put results in perspective. Its fun to get out there and try, and you might even surprise yourself with what you can do.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Agree with what many have said. Technique and training methods have changed drastically and you can definitely use that to your advantage now. Take it slow, learn some new tricks and have fun. After a 17 year break myself, I found masters competitions to be super motivating and fun - no pressure except what you put on yourself, and an open and accepting community of folks. I still get nerves before a race, but I think that is a good thing. But now I have the age, wisdom and other aspects of my life to put results in perspective. Its fun to get out there and try, and you might even surprise yourself with what you can do.
Children
No Data