Newbie coming out of LONG retirement

I swam as a junior until I was 15, then took a long break until I started doing triathlons at age 50, and am now coming up on my 62nd birthday. Really enjoy my swimming so decided to come out of my competitive swimming "retirement" and enter a Masters meet in June. Going to limit myself to 50M and 100M for now, but down the road would like to start swimming IM again. No expectations; I figure I'll be left in the wake during the first heats, but just want to have some fun and see how I can do. Any words of wisdom? Mark
Parents
  • Hi Mark, Welcome back to competitive swimming! I think you're coming in to this with a great attitude. It is most important to enjoy the sport, take it slowly, and appreciate any progress you're making (even if it is in small steps). One additional important factor is to focus on technique to avoid any possible injuries as you're making your comeback, especially if you want to do IM work. This is especially significant now as you're returning to competition at a later age. Just as an FYI, I'll be in Florida on April 26th giving a stroke clinic at Coral Springs. I know you're in Sarasota and it's quite a hike, but just in case you can check out the Swimspire website for more info! Good luck and hope to see you at the pool!
  • Hi Mark, Welcome back to competitive swimming! I think you're coming in to this with a great attitude. It is most important to enjoy the sport, take it slowly, and appreciate any progress you're making (even if it is in small steps). One additional important factor is to focus on technique to avoid any possible injuries as you're making your comeback, especially if you want to do IM work. This is especially significant now as you're returning to competition at a later age. Just as an FYI, I'll be in Florida on April 26th giving a stroke clinic at Coral Springs. I know you're in Sarasota and it's quite a hike, but just in case you can check out the Swimspire website for more info! Good luck and hope to see you at the pool!
Children
No Data