Gasping for Breath After a 25 yds

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.? Another thing to consider is exercise-induced asthma (EIA). I used to get this as a beginner competitive swimmer in high school. I never really experienced it in other sports, but swimming can be much more intense than many other sports. In comparison to swimming, I consider biking a rather leisurely activity (no offense intended!). EIA can be related to allergies/asthma and may also be exacerbated by chlorine or other organic and inorganic compounds in the water. You might want to talk to your doctor about this, especially if you have a doc who has experience in sports medicine. Have you tried using your albuterol inhaler before or after swimming? I think EIA typically improves over time. Mine did, anyway, 'though I still get exercise-induced rhinitis after really intense swim work-outs (eg, 3 miles, two days in a row). Also, if I am in a really heavily chlorinated environment like an indoor waterpark I can get shortness of breath that may last for a day or two.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.? Another thing to consider is exercise-induced asthma (EIA). I used to get this as a beginner competitive swimmer in high school. I never really experienced it in other sports, but swimming can be much more intense than many other sports. In comparison to swimming, I consider biking a rather leisurely activity (no offense intended!). EIA can be related to allergies/asthma and may also be exacerbated by chlorine or other organic and inorganic compounds in the water. You might want to talk to your doctor about this, especially if you have a doc who has experience in sports medicine. Have you tried using your albuterol inhaler before or after swimming? I think EIA typically improves over time. Mine did, anyway, 'though I still get exercise-induced rhinitis after really intense swim work-outs (eg, 3 miles, two days in a row). Also, if I am in a really heavily chlorinated environment like an indoor waterpark I can get shortness of breath that may last for a day or two.
Children
No Data