Gasping for Breath After a 25 yds

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
Parents
  • My guess is, when you're swimming, you're exerting too much, you're trying to hard, and probably not swimming with ease. Even though you've got years on the bike, swim conditioning is a whole new thing. To confirm this, I would need to see you swim. I suggest you get one on one swimming technique lessons. to learn how to properly swim. have someone make a video of you swimming, post it on youtube and provide us with the link check these out: Total Immersion: How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days and You Can Too The Most Graceful Freestyle Swimming by Shinji Takeuchi ... I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
  • My guess is, when you're swimming, you're exerting too much, you're trying to hard, and probably not swimming with ease. Even though you've got years on the bike, swim conditioning is a whole new thing. To confirm this, I would need to see you swim. I suggest you get one on one swimming technique lessons. to learn how to properly swim. have someone make a video of you swimming, post it on youtube and provide us with the link check these out: Total Immersion: How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days and You Can Too The Most Graceful Freestyle Swimming by Shinji Takeuchi ... I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
Children
No Data