Gasping for Breath After a 25 yds

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
Parents
  • You could try swimming about 25 yds in open water where there are no chemicals (not in a pool) to see if you have a reaction and how your breathing feels (out of breath) and that might tell you if 2) is the problem. If you are in decent shape, it seems like 1) would be unlikely swimming 25 yds., but swimming laps is very aerobic exercise. I think many adults who initially jump in the pool to swim laps find it very fatiguing and are out of breathe in one length or two, especially if they are tense, fighting it, and pushing the pace. Relax, swim slower, feel the glide in your stroke, and even just kick along with your arms stretched out for awhile if you have a decent freestyle. You can build from one length to two lengths, then three and more over time. If someone on the pool deck can check out your stroke mechanics, body position, breathing and kicking that may help you with 3) or post up a video on you-tube and link it to this forum.
  • You could try swimming about 25 yds in open water where there are no chemicals (not in a pool) to see if you have a reaction and how your breathing feels (out of breath) and that might tell you if 2) is the problem. If you are in decent shape, it seems like 1) would be unlikely swimming 25 yds., but swimming laps is very aerobic exercise. I think many adults who initially jump in the pool to swim laps find it very fatiguing and are out of breathe in one length or two, especially if they are tense, fighting it, and pushing the pace. Relax, swim slower, feel the glide in your stroke, and even just kick along with your arms stretched out for awhile if you have a decent freestyle. You can build from one length to two lengths, then three and more over time. If someone on the pool deck can check out your stroke mechanics, body position, breathing and kicking that may help you with 3) or post up a video on you-tube and link it to this forum.
Children
No Data