Gasping for Breath After a 25 yds

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 64, slightly asthmatic, in decent shape from years of bicycling, and swim in a pool disinfected with chlorine and ozone. I have a decent freestyle, but can't swim more than 25 yds. without gasping for breath. My three theories are: 1) my heart muscle just doesn't have the strength to send the blood to my muscles, 2) my wind passages are closing up as an allergic reaction to the ozone, and 3) my stroke technique prevents me from getting a good breath of air. As to No. 2, if you google "ozone allergies", you'll see articles talking about how ozone triggers an asthmatic attack in asthma sufferers. Does anyone have any theories about why I can't swim more than 25 yds.?
Parents
  • It could be chemicals that cause an allergic reaction. However, in my case, I have to be in the pool area a little longer, about 300 yards. The most common problem is exhaling. There is an article on this website about breathing. If you con't exhale completely, you can't take in more air. You only need to turn your head a little (keep one goggle in the water), and take a small breath. If you haven't exhaled, you will be very short of breath.
  • It could be chemicals that cause an allergic reaction. However, in my case, I have to be in the pool area a little longer, about 300 yards. The most common problem is exhaling. There is an article on this website about breathing. If you con't exhale completely, you can't take in more air. You only need to turn your head a little (keep one goggle in the water), and take a small breath. If you haven't exhaled, you will be very short of breath.
Children
No Data