Tips for teaching Level One and Two swimmers?

Former Member
Former Member
Okay so I have a job coming up, where all I do for five hours straight is just teach the toddlers and teach them how to swim. I am really nervous though for my job. I know that I should know all the kid's names to get comfortable with them. What should I do? This is my first job, so I am wondering what I should teach them. I am a decent swimmer, but not so good at teaching.
  • GILLster - If they are truly toddlers, then the first thing you teach them is that water is their friend. As their teacher, stay level with them... get in the water with them, and sit/kneel on the deck if you are talking to them. Try to use stories and characters from their lives (like Sponge Bob, etc) in helping them understand what you are relating to them. Make the lessons instructive, but fun. Start with safety around water, waterproofing, floating front & back, bobbing and such. Always plan a little free-time for play at the end of a lesson. Remember that kids will achieve only if you ensure they understand you have expectations and goals for them. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.