Slower Kick + Slower Pull = Faster Swimmer??

I need some theories on why this could be true: Assuming that both swimmers are kicking/pulling/swimming freestyle for the same distance with the same effort and without fins and paddles, swimmer A consistently kicks slower than swimmer B and swimmer A consistently pulls slower than swimmer B but swimmer A consistently swims full stroke faster than swimmer B. The only thing I can think of that might make this true is that swimmer A's body positioning in the water and/or body rotation changes somehow when swimming full stroke and that that change reduces drag but I can't think of what that "somehow" could be. Maybe the rotation that occurs when pulling is making the kick more effective than when only kicking..?
Parents
  • No, and in fact, I'm.. I mean swimmer A is a petite (5'0") woman and swimmer B is a tall (6'2") man. One of the coaches I respected and admired, and who influenced my philosophy on swimming technique told me "there are some tall people who are short swimmers, and some shorter people who are tall swimmers." In other words, if you are more efficient in the water, getting greater distance per stroke without losing momentum, your height sometimes won't matter as much if you are swimming against someone who is inefficient. Bottom line - technique and conditioning combined win the day.
  • No, and in fact, I'm.. I mean swimmer A is a petite (5'0") woman and swimmer B is a tall (6'2") man. One of the coaches I respected and admired, and who influenced my philosophy on swimming technique told me "there are some tall people who are short swimmers, and some shorter people who are tall swimmers." In other words, if you are more efficient in the water, getting greater distance per stroke without losing momentum, your height sometimes won't matter as much if you are swimming against someone who is inefficient. Bottom line - technique and conditioning combined win the day.
Children
No Data