Slower Kick + Slower Pull = Faster Swimmer??

I need some theories on why this could be true: Assuming that both swimmers are kicking/pulling/swimming freestyle for the same distance with the same effort and without fins and paddles, swimmer A consistently kicks slower than swimmer B and swimmer A consistently pulls slower than swimmer B but swimmer A consistently swims full stroke faster than swimmer B. The only thing I can think of that might make this true is that swimmer A's body positioning in the water and/or body rotation changes somehow when swimming full stroke and that that change reduces drag but I can't think of what that "somehow" could be. Maybe the rotation that occurs when pulling is making the kick more effective than when only kicking..?
Parents
  • Y I'm starting to think it's an endurance issue. I think swimmer B gets tired sooner on distance swims (100m+) and starts to slow down or compromises his technique which slows him down. I notice that a few guys I swim with like to start off really fast and then fade. If we start a long set and they're beating me I usually continue to go my own pace and eventually end I up way ahead. Not sure if it's an "I have to beat that woman" issue or just a pacing issue in general that makes them race the beginning of the set/work out...?
  • Y I'm starting to think it's an endurance issue. I think swimmer B gets tired sooner on distance swims (100m+) and starts to slow down or compromises his technique which slows him down. I notice that a few guys I swim with like to start off really fast and then fade. If we start a long set and they're beating me I usually continue to go my own pace and eventually end I up way ahead. Not sure if it's an "I have to beat that woman" issue or just a pacing issue in general that makes them race the beginning of the set/work out...?
Children
No Data