Weight loss

Former Member
Former Member
Since this is my first post here I wanna say big HI to everyone! ;) I think I have to give a little background about myself first so You guys can guide me better (hopefully). So I used to train boxing for a couple of years. I was a boxing maniac to be honest, training 5-6 days a week with lots of sparring. Everything was great untill one day I fell on the ground and could not walk for a few weeks. MRI diagnosed severe bulging discs but I didnt give up and stayed in the gym for an extra year or two. I managed to centralize the pain but MRI showed the violent twisintg motion involved in punching is getting things worse so I had to stop. I was literally addicted to the sport so it took another 2 years for me to get myself off the ground and move on. During this time I took some swimming lessons as I knew I have to find myself another sport and swimming is the best sport for back problems. I started from the cratch as I could only swim some basic *** stroke and now I can swim decent freestyle, backstroke and I'm learning the butterfly. My current situation wont let me hire a coach (both lack of time and money) but I certainly will in a few months perspective. Till that time I have to just focus and develop the strokes further on my own. I'm pretty happy with my progress but what bothers me is my current state of body fat. I never did any dieting as I allways stayed in shape over the last years. I could eat anything and I was just getting better and better. Even the last few months of boxing when the pain was persistent and I could only train like 2 times a week I couldnt gain any fat at all while now I'm just getting fatter and fatter while swimming my ass off in the pool 3times a week. I tried everything from doing laps to intervals. i.e. my yesterdays workout looked like this: 200m fs 200m bs- warmup 10x100m fs 4*100m kick (fs/bs/side) 200m bs pull buoy 200m fs pull buoy cool down- slow steady fs, flip turns and butterfly kick practice I understand my knowledge at this point is close to none but I'm trying to mix things up and focus on a short distance intervals instead of doing laps. I also constantly focus on my technique. Some time ago I came to the conclusion that maybe I dont kick properly so I dedicated the whole workout strictly focusing on the proper kick technique. I read somewhere that to kick from the hip You have to squeeze the buttocks so I swam each laop focusing on this. I could barelly walk the next day but the fat stayed. I know that when I finally get to the right level of intensivenes the fat is just going to melt away in a couple of days but I cant seem to get there anyhow. After each session in the pool I do some very light lifting (2compound excersises/2-3s each/push/pull). Now my questions is what am I doing wrong? Should I swim more each workout or focus on something in order to burn the fat? Like I said it took me a few rounds on the heavy bag 2 times a week to melt the fat away while now I'm doing miles in the pool without any effect. As for my back problems I almost forgot I had any. Swimming works like a charm! Dieting is not an option for me. Id rather live in the pool 24/7 than waste time on dieting. Please help ;)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank You guys for all the replies! I was beeing pretty busy lately so couldnt post earlier (didnt skip a single workout though). I did a slight change to my dieting and I can say I'm finally on the right track. What I did was adding one extra meal (very light) about 2hrs prior hitting the pool. The workouts I'm doing are exact 1.5h long (You pointed it right there Gary) so I thought maybe I should give my body some fuel so it wont have to store anything as a fat. Before I was eating one BIG meal around 1pm and that was it. This slight change gave me an immediate better overall feeling + looser pants on the next day. I dont think its up to age but the intensity which is not available for me at this point due to lack of proper skill. It is pretty easy to just do some workout on the dry land and it doesnt require any decent technique. While in the pool I have to learn the strokes first in order to be able to get tired properly. Joining the masters team would be the best solution and I allways knew it. The problem is I cant find anything near my location. Swimming a series of freestyle 100's does a good job for me but again it will take me some more time to get on the proper intensity level. Sometimes I have to slow down my stroke not because I'm tired but just because the lack of air. I'm now considering buying some training-aid watch. There are some models which count the strokes and I can use them to plan the workouts. This way I can see whether I'm swimming faster or not. Anyone using a watch like this?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank You guys for all the replies! I was beeing pretty busy lately so couldnt post earlier (didnt skip a single workout though). I did a slight change to my dieting and I can say I'm finally on the right track. What I did was adding one extra meal (very light) about 2hrs prior hitting the pool. The workouts I'm doing are exact 1.5h long (You pointed it right there Gary) so I thought maybe I should give my body some fuel so it wont have to store anything as a fat. Before I was eating one BIG meal around 1pm and that was it. This slight change gave me an immediate better overall feeling + looser pants on the next day. I dont think its up to age but the intensity which is not available for me at this point due to lack of proper skill. It is pretty easy to just do some workout on the dry land and it doesnt require any decent technique. While in the pool I have to learn the strokes first in order to be able to get tired properly. Joining the masters team would be the best solution and I allways knew it. The problem is I cant find anything near my location. Swimming a series of freestyle 100's does a good job for me but again it will take me some more time to get on the proper intensity level. Sometimes I have to slow down my stroke not because I'm tired but just because the lack of air. I'm now considering buying some training-aid watch. There are some models which count the strokes and I can use them to plan the workouts. This way I can see whether I'm swimming faster or not. Anyone using a watch like this?
Children
No Data