Modulating sprints in lead-up to nationals: how much?

Former Member
Former Member
I am swimming at nationals in San Antonio. Have had a solid season of training, focusing on sprints, particularly. (50 fly, 50 free and 100 IM at nationals.) I swam in a local meet over the weekend; rested a little, but not much, beforehand. Felt tired and a little sore, due I think to high intensity stuff in workouts. I had very little backend on 100s and 200 IM, but I attribute that to being a little run down. My question is this: how much sprinting should I do over the next month? Feel as if the sprints (lots of 25s fly and free, especially) have helped me edge toward higher turnover, and I'm pleased about that. I want to be sharp but not tired in San Antonio. I have been swimming 10,000 to 12,000 yards per week through the first quarter. Any insights welcome.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm reporting back on my results on prepping for San Antonio after feeling tired in a meet three weeks out. I took the advice to give it a rest, and was out of the water for 4 straight days. When I got back in, it was at less yardage with more rest heading toward Nationals. I felt sluggish 10 days out, but stuck with it and by the time I got to the meet I felt fast again. My times dropped: almost a full second in the 100 IM to an all-time Masters best; 50 free dropped .7 to an age group best, just as I aged out; 50 fly I stayed stuck in the same two to three-tenths neighborhood where my best times have hovered for the last several years. Using the Virginia LMSC rating system www.vaswim.org/.../rcalc.cgi (which is very helpful for tracking performance across time and age) I found that I had swum my three most highly rated swims (age + time x masters world record algorithm) since returning to competition 8 years ago. I also got to swim against my old teenage friend and rival for the first time since 1978, and squeaked out a win in the 100 IM by two-tenths. That was a huge treat (seeing him and his wife, also competing). Seriously affirming. I attribute some of that success to the advice I got here to back off some (thanks mrbacky, steve and fort). I had slowed down to taper in prior years, but this time I was more careful and attentive during the last 10 days, especially. I definitely swam less in the last week than I ever had before, but had a nice base to back off from, too. Thanks for the assist, forumites!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm reporting back on my results on prepping for San Antonio after feeling tired in a meet three weeks out. I took the advice to give it a rest, and was out of the water for 4 straight days. When I got back in, it was at less yardage with more rest heading toward Nationals. I felt sluggish 10 days out, but stuck with it and by the time I got to the meet I felt fast again. My times dropped: almost a full second in the 100 IM to an all-time Masters best; 50 free dropped .7 to an age group best, just as I aged out; 50 fly I stayed stuck in the same two to three-tenths neighborhood where my best times have hovered for the last several years. Using the Virginia LMSC rating system www.vaswim.org/.../rcalc.cgi (which is very helpful for tracking performance across time and age) I found that I had swum my three most highly rated swims (age + time x masters world record algorithm) since returning to competition 8 years ago. I also got to swim against my old teenage friend and rival for the first time since 1978, and squeaked out a win in the 100 IM by two-tenths. That was a huge treat (seeing him and his wife, also competing). Seriously affirming. I attribute some of that success to the advice I got here to back off some (thanks mrbacky, steve and fort). I had slowed down to taper in prior years, but this time I was more careful and attentive during the last 10 days, especially. I definitely swam less in the last week than I ever had before, but had a nice base to back off from, too. Thanks for the assist, forumites!
Children
No Data