Weight Lifting Suggestions?

I have just started back with my trainer at the gym. I am really liking the way I am looking, but the trainer, though a total beast, is not a swimmer, and although he seems to have a general idea of what I want to accomplish, I want to be sure the results I am getting in terms of my appearance translate into better results in the pool. I am a sprinter (mostly *** and free as well), so I want to build strength, maintain/increase flexibility, and minimize muscle fatigue (while racing, of course). When I was growing up and swimming (in the late 60s and early 70s), we were told to avoid weight training. Now I know that has been completely debunked, but I am guessing there is a wrong way and a right way to do it vis-a-vis swimming. Any suggestions for what I should be doing? I am guessing I would need a rotation of 3 or 4 different workouts to hit all the right spots. Gary Brooklyn, NY
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have just started back with my trainer at the gym. I am really liking the way I am looking, but the trainer, though a total beast, is not a swimmer, and although he seems to have a general idea of what I want to accomplish, I want to be sure the results I am getting in terms of my appearance translate into better results in the pool. I am a sprinter (mostly *** and free as well), so I want to build strength, maintain/increase flexibility, and minimize muscle fatigue (while racing, of course). When I was growing up and swimming (in the late 60s and early 70s), we were told to avoid weight training. Now I know that has been completely debunked, but I am guessing there is a wrong way and a right way to do it vis-a-vis swimming. Any suggestions for what I should be doing? I am guessing I would need a rotation of 3 or 4 different workouts to hit all the right spots. Gary Brooklyn, NY I use the Dave Salo 'Complete conditioning....' book, with some support from the 'Swimming Anatomy' book by Ian McLeod. I usually do 3 land-training sessions per week, with exercises selected from the swimming anatomy book. The Salo book has some excellent year round plans for different levels of ability, which you can adapt to suit your personal situ. While there may be some debate on whether swimming specific exercises have benefit, I rarely train muscles that aren't primarily engaged in my focus event - front crawl. As a sprinter, weight training really helps improve my in-water times, albeit not without significant risk of injury. It's a balance between lifting the maximum possible weight (at the right time), while not pushing too hard and too often which can at best lead to significant soreness, and at worst injury. Sometimes I really feel like I'm pushing my luck, particularly on the shoulders when benching and lat pull downs, and while I know it's not sustainable long-term as an aging masters swimmer, the max effort to exhaustion really improves my times after taper.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have just started back with my trainer at the gym. I am really liking the way I am looking, but the trainer, though a total beast, is not a swimmer, and although he seems to have a general idea of what I want to accomplish, I want to be sure the results I am getting in terms of my appearance translate into better results in the pool. I am a sprinter (mostly *** and free as well), so I want to build strength, maintain/increase flexibility, and minimize muscle fatigue (while racing, of course). When I was growing up and swimming (in the late 60s and early 70s), we were told to avoid weight training. Now I know that has been completely debunked, but I am guessing there is a wrong way and a right way to do it vis-a-vis swimming. Any suggestions for what I should be doing? I am guessing I would need a rotation of 3 or 4 different workouts to hit all the right spots. Gary Brooklyn, NY I use the Dave Salo 'Complete conditioning....' book, with some support from the 'Swimming Anatomy' book by Ian McLeod. I usually do 3 land-training sessions per week, with exercises selected from the swimming anatomy book. The Salo book has some excellent year round plans for different levels of ability, which you can adapt to suit your personal situ. While there may be some debate on whether swimming specific exercises have benefit, I rarely train muscles that aren't primarily engaged in my focus event - front crawl. As a sprinter, weight training really helps improve my in-water times, albeit not without significant risk of injury. It's a balance between lifting the maximum possible weight (at the right time), while not pushing too hard and too often which can at best lead to significant soreness, and at worst injury. Sometimes I really feel like I'm pushing my luck, particularly on the shoulders when benching and lat pull downs, and while I know it's not sustainable long-term as an aging masters swimmer, the max effort to exhaustion really improves my times after taper.
Children
No Data