Weight Lifting Suggestions?

I have just started back with my trainer at the gym. I am really liking the way I am looking, but the trainer, though a total beast, is not a swimmer, and although he seems to have a general idea of what I want to accomplish, I want to be sure the results I am getting in terms of my appearance translate into better results in the pool. I am a sprinter (mostly *** and free as well), so I want to build strength, maintain/increase flexibility, and minimize muscle fatigue (while racing, of course). When I was growing up and swimming (in the late 60s and early 70s), we were told to avoid weight training. Now I know that has been completely debunked, but I am guessing there is a wrong way and a right way to do it vis-a-vis swimming. Any suggestions for what I should be doing? I am guessing I would need a rotation of 3 or 4 different workouts to hit all the right spots. Gary Brooklyn, NY
Parents
  • Most of my injuries these days are caused in the weight room. I generally keep the reps higher than 10 and avoid pushing the last few and its been going fine thus far. For Olympic lifts, the only ones I can do properly are deadlifts and snatches (with not so heavy weight at all lol). I don't even bother with bench presses or squats because I usually end up injuring myself. My new favorite exercise however, because it doesn't bother my back and really loads large muscle groups, are single leg deadlifts. I either use dumbells or a machine for these.
  • Most of my injuries these days are caused in the weight room. I generally keep the reps higher than 10 and avoid pushing the last few and its been going fine thus far. For Olympic lifts, the only ones I can do properly are deadlifts and snatches (with not so heavy weight at all lol). I don't even bother with bench presses or squats because I usually end up injuring myself. My new favorite exercise however, because it doesn't bother my back and really loads large muscle groups, are single leg deadlifts. I either use dumbells or a machine for these.
Children
No Data