favorite sets for training the back half of 100s

Former Member
Former Member
Looking for some good sets that focus on speed endurance for the back half of 100 races. What are your favorites? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    This is what I do for BR on my 100 pace days: set 1) 8X50 on the 2:40(recovery swim after each 50),all at race pace,add 30 sec rest for the next 50 if I miss my goal time. Then recovery swim until ready for set 2) USRPTish 30X25 with 20 sec rest between 25s(I find 20 sec works better for me in BR than the standard 15 sec.,YMMV) standard USRPT rules of skip the next one if you miss the interval,2 misses in a row or 3 total and you are done and one shouldn't be able to complete all 30. I know some people like to do descending sets &/or of over distance sets(like 125s),but I think the most important thing for a 100(or any distance really) is to have the sense of pace totally grooved in.I like my first set(which is basically a HIT set) more than just doing all USRPT,because I find that generating lactic acid and feeling it is a better simulation of the feeling of the second half of the 100 than just USRPT. In the HIT set, I think that after the first one, you should allow yourself just enough recovery time to be about as tired as you would be starting the 2nd 50 of the 100. I agree with you on the USRPT. After many months of primarily doing USRPT, when I race my body has no idea what to do with that lactic acid burn at the end of a 100. In prior years when I did more HIT, I was really used to the feeling and knew exactly how to push through it and keep tempo. I really like the idea of combining both into one workout! Thanks for your input!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    This is what I do for BR on my 100 pace days: set 1) 8X50 on the 2:40(recovery swim after each 50),all at race pace,add 30 sec rest for the next 50 if I miss my goal time. Then recovery swim until ready for set 2) USRPTish 30X25 with 20 sec rest between 25s(I find 20 sec works better for me in BR than the standard 15 sec.,YMMV) standard USRPT rules of skip the next one if you miss the interval,2 misses in a row or 3 total and you are done and one shouldn't be able to complete all 30. I know some people like to do descending sets &/or of over distance sets(like 125s),but I think the most important thing for a 100(or any distance really) is to have the sense of pace totally grooved in.I like my first set(which is basically a HIT set) more than just doing all USRPT,because I find that generating lactic acid and feeling it is a better simulation of the feeling of the second half of the 100 than just USRPT. In the HIT set, I think that after the first one, you should allow yourself just enough recovery time to be about as tired as you would be starting the 2nd 50 of the 100. I agree with you on the USRPT. After many months of primarily doing USRPT, when I race my body has no idea what to do with that lactic acid burn at the end of a 100. In prior years when I did more HIT, I was really used to the feeling and knew exactly how to push through it and keep tempo. I really like the idea of combining both into one workout! Thanks for your input!
Children
No Data