Teaching Adults How to Swim

Since teaching non-swimming adults how to swim is the public service initiative of the USMS I think it would be fun to have a thread to discuss war stories, tricks that work, and just the overall good feeling it gives you when you teach someone a skill that you love to do so much! I just graduated 2 wonderful ladies Monday night. Both ladies have joined facilities with lap swimming available and have started their exercise/fitness programs! I am in awe of their dedication and motivation to over-come their fear of the deep water and work hard enough to make fitness through swimming a reality! The next time I'm not in the mood to go to a workout I'll try to draw from their exuberance and get myself to the pool. If your team doesn't have a SSL program my advice is to start one. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus there's no better way to contribute to the culture of swimming than to get others started!!
Parents
  • Orca, what a great story! It is wonderful that you are using your swimming skills to help a vet gain renewed strength and hope. Bobinator, 22 Too Many is a community that seeks to raise awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder among vets and honor those who have taken their own lives because of PTSD. They are mainly a community of runners, but partnered with Germantown Masters this December to branch out to the swimming community. Each of the swimmers at the meet had the opportunity to race in honor of a fallen hero. www.swimspire.com/.../ I know they would love to have more swimmers racing for the veterans and thus bringing more attention to the devastating effects of PTSD, so if you want to help, you could contact them! http://www.22toomany.com/
  • Orca, what a great story! It is wonderful that you are using your swimming skills to help a vet gain renewed strength and hope. Bobinator, 22 Too Many is a community that seeks to raise awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder among vets and honor those who have taken their own lives because of PTSD. They are mainly a community of runners, but partnered with Germantown Masters this December to branch out to the swimming community. Each of the swimmers at the meet had the opportunity to race in honor of a fallen hero. www.swimspire.com/.../ I know they would love to have more swimmers racing for the veterans and thus bringing more attention to the devastating effects of PTSD, so if you want to help, you could contact them! http://www.22toomany.com/
Children
No Data