Teaching Adults How to Swim

Since teaching non-swimming adults how to swim is the public service initiative of the USMS I think it would be fun to have a thread to discuss war stories, tricks that work, and just the overall good feeling it gives you when you teach someone a skill that you love to do so much! I just graduated 2 wonderful ladies Monday night. Both ladies have joined facilities with lap swimming available and have started their exercise/fitness programs! I am in awe of their dedication and motivation to over-come their fear of the deep water and work hard enough to make fitness through swimming a reality! The next time I'm not in the mood to go to a workout I'll try to draw from their exuberance and get myself to the pool. If your team doesn't have a SSL program my advice is to start one. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus there's no better way to contribute to the culture of swimming than to get others started!!
Parents
  • I have been teaching a Iraq - Iran war vet how to swim. He is limited by shrapnel in his back, a plate in his skull & shattered jaw all from a roadside bomb !! He could swim 5 strokes holding his breath and after us working together for 4 months, he can now swim 14 lengths of the pool with good side breathing and an ok stroke. He took me to his V F W meetings and dinner to brag about me changing his life with the new skills and confidence he has. It sure feels good to "pay it forward" to help the men & women that protect us at home in the U S A !!
  • I have been teaching a Iraq - Iran war vet how to swim. He is limited by shrapnel in his back, a plate in his skull & shattered jaw all from a roadside bomb !! He could swim 5 strokes holding his breath and after us working together for 4 months, he can now swim 14 lengths of the pool with good side breathing and an ok stroke. He took me to his V F W meetings and dinner to brag about me changing his life with the new skills and confidence he has. It sure feels good to "pay it forward" to help the men & women that protect us at home in the U S A !!
Children
No Data