Teaching Adults How to Swim

Since teaching non-swimming adults how to swim is the public service initiative of the USMS I think it would be fun to have a thread to discuss war stories, tricks that work, and just the overall good feeling it gives you when you teach someone a skill that you love to do so much! I just graduated 2 wonderful ladies Monday night. Both ladies have joined facilities with lap swimming available and have started their exercise/fitness programs! I am in awe of their dedication and motivation to over-come their fear of the deep water and work hard enough to make fitness through swimming a reality! The next time I'm not in the mood to go to a workout I'll try to draw from their exuberance and get myself to the pool. If your team doesn't have a SSL program my advice is to start one. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus there's no better way to contribute to the culture of swimming than to get others started!!
Parents
  • My first teacher told us to fill a basin of water and just stick our face in it and blow bubbles. Then she'd have us hang onto the edge of the pool and bubble and then start turning our heads side to side. Once were could do that comfortably, she'd have us stretch out and breath alternately. Then float a few feet and practice stroking and breathing. Then we'd do that for half the length of the pool. Eventually, we could go the whole length. That's how I learned. FYI, I loved using a snorkel and fins. I used to go snorkeling in a lake in Maine and thinking of it still makes me happy.
  • My first teacher told us to fill a basin of water and just stick our face in it and blow bubbles. Then she'd have us hang onto the edge of the pool and bubble and then start turning our heads side to side. Once were could do that comfortably, she'd have us stretch out and breath alternately. Then float a few feet and practice stroking and breathing. Then we'd do that for half the length of the pool. Eventually, we could go the whole length. That's how I learned. FYI, I loved using a snorkel and fins. I used to go snorkeling in a lake in Maine and thinking of it still makes me happy.
Children
No Data