Teaching Adults How to Swim

Since teaching non-swimming adults how to swim is the public service initiative of the USMS I think it would be fun to have a thread to discuss war stories, tricks that work, and just the overall good feeling it gives you when you teach someone a skill that you love to do so much! I just graduated 2 wonderful ladies Monday night. Both ladies have joined facilities with lap swimming available and have started their exercise/fitness programs! I am in awe of their dedication and motivation to over-come their fear of the deep water and work hard enough to make fitness through swimming a reality! The next time I'm not in the mood to go to a workout I'll try to draw from their exuberance and get myself to the pool. If your team doesn't have a SSL program my advice is to start one. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus there's no better way to contribute to the culture of swimming than to get others started!!
Parents
  • In my experience, the adults who have come to me for lessons have the greatest obstacles of breathing and body position. I try to tackle both via the use of a snorkel. Obviously, this is after already having worked through getting the swimmer accustomed to putting his/her face in the water through various exercises; but the snorkel allows me to focus the swimmer on body position, even kicking/stroke, without having to worry about the breathing at the same time. Once their body position is better under control and the kick and stroke are at least at a beginner level, I then wean the swimmer off the snorkel and we'll do some drills to incorporate more rotation/breathing. It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that someone feels more comfortable in the water, can at least swim to safety or accomplish competitive goals - whatever the case may be - just from a few lessons and commitment to practicing outside of those lessons. I totally agree with this Boomerang! One of my ladies has a lovely backstroke and breastroke, but she still has issues with breathing in freestyle. I believe her flutter kick is a bit too wide + her head too high and this puts her in a less than optimal body position. She is also obese. I'm not sure if this is a strength issue, or a water comfort issue. I told her to start her workout program with primarily *** and back, but still work in as much free as possible. I'm hoping she'll come back for more lessons after a couple months of self practice. I think if she were stronger and more hydro-adapted she could get it.
  • In my experience, the adults who have come to me for lessons have the greatest obstacles of breathing and body position. I try to tackle both via the use of a snorkel. Obviously, this is after already having worked through getting the swimmer accustomed to putting his/her face in the water through various exercises; but the snorkel allows me to focus the swimmer on body position, even kicking/stroke, without having to worry about the breathing at the same time. Once their body position is better under control and the kick and stroke are at least at a beginner level, I then wean the swimmer off the snorkel and we'll do some drills to incorporate more rotation/breathing. It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that someone feels more comfortable in the water, can at least swim to safety or accomplish competitive goals - whatever the case may be - just from a few lessons and commitment to practicing outside of those lessons. I totally agree with this Boomerang! One of my ladies has a lovely backstroke and breastroke, but she still has issues with breathing in freestyle. I believe her flutter kick is a bit too wide + her head too high and this puts her in a less than optimal body position. She is also obese. I'm not sure if this is a strength issue, or a water comfort issue. I told her to start her workout program with primarily *** and back, but still work in as much free as possible. I'm hoping she'll come back for more lessons after a couple months of self practice. I think if she were stronger and more hydro-adapted she could get it.
Children
No Data