Teaching Adults How to Swim

Since teaching non-swimming adults how to swim is the public service initiative of the USMS I think it would be fun to have a thread to discuss war stories, tricks that work, and just the overall good feeling it gives you when you teach someone a skill that you love to do so much! I just graduated 2 wonderful ladies Monday night. Both ladies have joined facilities with lap swimming available and have started their exercise/fitness programs! I am in awe of their dedication and motivation to over-come their fear of the deep water and work hard enough to make fitness through swimming a reality! The next time I'm not in the mood to go to a workout I'll try to draw from their exuberance and get myself to the pool. If your team doesn't have a SSL program my advice is to start one. I guarantee you'll have fun, plus there's no better way to contribute to the culture of swimming than to get others started!!
Parents
  • Denise, although I learned to swim as a kid, it took me several years to overcome my fear of deep water so I totally hear you! What finally helped: I had to tread water for a half hour as part of taking sailing lessons. I was terrified until someone suggested first going into deep water in a life preserver and stayed with me as I did so. Later, on my own, I tried going into deep water for just a few seconds and gradually extended the time. One day, some boys jumped in and tried to hold me under. I either got away or they let me go. I forget which. You would think that should have permanently spooked me but oddly it didn't. I had even more courage after that -- maybe b/c of having survived. (I did avoid swimming near those boys for a while but even that fear diminished w time.) Although I don't recommend having smart a$$ boys dunk you, ;) I think that incident brought me face to face w one of my biggest fears just when I was ready to overcome it -- and not before. I think the help I got going out in a life preserver made a big difference in getting me out of my comfort zone and only then could I gradually take more risks. Now I regularly take part in open water swims. It takes time and as you say patience. And someone to be there with you at first. But it does happen! Good luck!
  • Denise, although I learned to swim as a kid, it took me several years to overcome my fear of deep water so I totally hear you! What finally helped: I had to tread water for a half hour as part of taking sailing lessons. I was terrified until someone suggested first going into deep water in a life preserver and stayed with me as I did so. Later, on my own, I tried going into deep water for just a few seconds and gradually extended the time. One day, some boys jumped in and tried to hold me under. I either got away or they let me go. I forget which. You would think that should have permanently spooked me but oddly it didn't. I had even more courage after that -- maybe b/c of having survived. (I did avoid swimming near those boys for a while but even that fear diminished w time.) Although I don't recommend having smart a$$ boys dunk you, ;) I think that incident brought me face to face w one of my biggest fears just when I was ready to overcome it -- and not before. I think the help I got going out in a life preserver made a big difference in getting me out of my comfort zone and only then could I gradually take more risks. Now I regularly take part in open water swims. It takes time and as you say patience. And someone to be there with you at first. But it does happen! Good luck!
Children
No Data