Looking for Comments on my Freestyle Stroke - video

Former Member
Former Member
Below is a one min video of various angles of my freestyle stroke....I'm a 50 old geezer :) who's looking for some constructive criticism. Greatly appreciate any input as to arm positions thru stroke, head, kick, etc....At present, I can only swim about 300 yards free continuously before getting winded. Not looking to be a competitive swimmer just more efficiency and endurance. http://youtu.be/UNNkO3ZExp4 Thanks!!!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments thus far....actually I lied, I'm 53. :) I took a couple of lesson right after the holidays and have been good about getting in the water 3 days/week. I always try to rack up 33 laps on my counter thru various combo's of (primarily) free and *** strokes with varying distances and rests between each set. I also tend to get 5 laps or so of my lap total swimming free with a pull buoy. I'm going to go over each of these comments several more times and really try to digest. Couple of quick comments based on my initial reaction and then in response to some observations made: - My initial response when I watched my video. A) I thought my arm movement above water was okay, but I did note that there is some disparity between my left and right. Specifically, my right arm (elbow) comes out of the water quite a bit higher than my left (elbow). B) At 47-55 second mark I was a little surprised to see my head that deep in the water. And C) my kick appears (to me) to be all over the place..no nice rhythm and definitely some bending at the knees. - My thoughts on comments thus far: "Your head seems to be a little too low...like it's completely underwater." I agree. I'm not sure how best to try to correct this. "Kick from the butt and try not to let the knee bend." Agree....I need to REALLY work on keeping my legs straighter and kicking from the hip. Bobinator/Steve: Yes, when my hands enter the water I feel like I'm first pushing down and then back. I will work on trying to keep both elbows up thru arm movement especially upon hand entering water and push water back rather than down (then back). And I agree I probably also need to lose the baggie swim trunks! ;) So, it appears I must work: 1) my arm position (high elbow throughout movement) - with practice especially with a pull buoy 2) kick from the hip and not bend leg - kick exercises w/ kickboard so I don't also have to think about arm movement(??) 3) body position - not sure how to address my head being too deep(?) Open to any/all additional comments. Again, thank you to those who've commented thus far.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank you all for the comments thus far....actually I lied, I'm 53. :) I took a couple of lesson right after the holidays and have been good about getting in the water 3 days/week. I always try to rack up 33 laps on my counter thru various combo's of (primarily) free and *** strokes with varying distances and rests between each set. I also tend to get 5 laps or so of my lap total swimming free with a pull buoy. I'm going to go over each of these comments several more times and really try to digest. Couple of quick comments based on my initial reaction and then in response to some observations made: - My initial response when I watched my video. A) I thought my arm movement above water was okay, but I did note that there is some disparity between my left and right. Specifically, my right arm (elbow) comes out of the water quite a bit higher than my left (elbow). B) At 47-55 second mark I was a little surprised to see my head that deep in the water. And C) my kick appears (to me) to be all over the place..no nice rhythm and definitely some bending at the knees. - My thoughts on comments thus far: "Your head seems to be a little too low...like it's completely underwater." I agree. I'm not sure how best to try to correct this. "Kick from the butt and try not to let the knee bend." Agree....I need to REALLY work on keeping my legs straighter and kicking from the hip. Bobinator/Steve: Yes, when my hands enter the water I feel like I'm first pushing down and then back. I will work on trying to keep both elbows up thru arm movement especially upon hand entering water and push water back rather than down (then back). And I agree I probably also need to lose the baggie swim trunks! ;) So, it appears I must work: 1) my arm position (high elbow throughout movement) - with practice especially with a pull buoy 2) kick from the hip and not bend leg - kick exercises w/ kickboard so I don't also have to think about arm movement(??) 3) body position - not sure how to address my head being too deep(?) Open to any/all additional comments. Again, thank you to those who've commented thus far.
Children
No Data