Switching from every 3 to every 2/4?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I've been following the USMS forums for a while now and just registered. I swam USMS in grad school as a 24 year old and now swim masters (age group B!) in South America. I love swimming down here but most coaches are about 10 years behind in technique/innovation, so I basically rely on friends who are coaches in the US and swim sites to stay up to date. It's pretty obvious that elite mid and long-distance swimmers breathe every cycle now, but have any of you forced yourselves to break a 3-5 habit and start to breathe every 2? I was taught to ALWAYS breathe every 3-5 and after 20-some years of that, I'm wondering if it's worth it in a race (specifically 200, 400/500). FWIW, I have major rotator cuff problems (who doesn't?!) with my right shoulder and seem to extend less with my right side than my left and am concerned breathing every cycle in practice would make that worse.
Parents
  • Something I like to point out that I think is often missed is that swimmers have a pretty wide range of stroke lengths. Some elite men are probably taking 11 strokes per 25 yards, and I'm sure there are petite women who crank it up to 20 strokes per length. The man in this example would only get 3-4 breaths per length by breathing every 3, but the woman would take 6-7. That's a huge difference and I think explains why women tend to breath every three more often than men do.
  • Something I like to point out that I think is often missed is that swimmers have a pretty wide range of stroke lengths. Some elite men are probably taking 11 strokes per 25 yards, and I'm sure there are petite women who crank it up to 20 strokes per length. The man in this example would only get 3-4 breaths per length by breathing every 3, but the woman would take 6-7. That's a huge difference and I think explains why women tend to breath every three more often than men do.
Children
No Data