Switching from every 3 to every 2/4?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I've been following the USMS forums for a while now and just registered. I swam USMS in grad school as a 24 year old and now swim masters (age group B!) in South America. I love swimming down here but most coaches are about 10 years behind in technique/innovation, so I basically rely on friends who are coaches in the US and swim sites to stay up to date. It's pretty obvious that elite mid and long-distance swimmers breathe every cycle now, but have any of you forced yourselves to break a 3-5 habit and start to breathe every 2? I was taught to ALWAYS breathe every 3-5 and after 20-some years of that, I'm wondering if it's worth it in a race (specifically 200, 400/500). FWIW, I have major rotator cuff problems (who doesn't?!) with my right shoulder and seem to extend less with my right side than my left and am concerned breathing every cycle in practice would make that worse.
Parents
  • Hi SwimEagle! Welcome to the forum. First of all, I know your quip about rotator cuff problems was meant to be light-hearted, but just want to point out that rotator cuff problems are not a pre-requisite to being a swimmer! They are usually an indication of poor technique, which is something that can be corrected! Back to your original question, however, you can certainly breathe evens instead of odds, but do try breathing both sides (for example one length to your left side, one length to your right). This will ensure that you do not put too much pressure on one side of your body, and will allow you to be proficient at breathing to both sides when necessary in a competition. This is a good video that shows how you can practice varying your breathing. I coached this team for a number of years and some of the swimmers ended up being featured on GoSwim! www.youtube.com/watch Good luck!
  • Hi SwimEagle! Welcome to the forum. First of all, I know your quip about rotator cuff problems was meant to be light-hearted, but just want to point out that rotator cuff problems are not a pre-requisite to being a swimmer! They are usually an indication of poor technique, which is something that can be corrected! Back to your original question, however, you can certainly breathe evens instead of odds, but do try breathing both sides (for example one length to your left side, one length to your right). This will ensure that you do not put too much pressure on one side of your body, and will allow you to be proficient at breathing to both sides when necessary in a competition. This is a good video that shows how you can practice varying your breathing. I coached this team for a number of years and some of the swimmers ended up being featured on GoSwim! www.youtube.com/watch Good luck!
Children
No Data