Proper Nutrition

Former Member
Former Member
I have searched throughout the forum and found little information about nutrition and supplements subjects suitable for swimmers. Generally I am against any supplement to improve overall capabilities of a swimmer. However its not always easy to maintain proper nutrition levels due other daily activities, especially with juniors when they are at school and have too many whims at the same time. So I am starting this thread with hope that any of you could share their favourite and sometimes perhaps "weird" recipes for meals that they believe provide proper nutrition with heavy and/or moderate workload swimmers. Meals-to-go recipes and budget for that relevant recipe are very welcomed. And if you are also able to provide data on what and how many elements such as proteins/carbs/iron/calcium etc shall be consumed by that recipe, I will be speachless :)! (last one is of course is just a too big wish). Thanks!
  • Try to eat a wide variety of unprocessed foods. Most foods in a box or bag come from a factory and are sustained till purchase with chemical crap. I buy 6 or 7 types of fresh vegetables, plus 3 or 4 types of fresh fruit every Sunday and spend some time that day washing and chopping the vege's and placing them in ziploc bags for the weeks use. I work about 10 hours a day monday-friday. I take the fruits, vege's, and a kale/spinach blend to work and that's what I eat while I'm there. Normally I'll throw a boiled egg or water-packed tuna on top for some protein. Nuts, greek yogurt, or hummus make a good snack before leaving school for swim workout too. I know it can be challenging to find quality, fresh fruits and vegetables year around, but I figure this is still better that what comes out of the typical cafeteria, factory, or resturant in most places.
  • We don't need to be bring the First Lady into this discussionbecause it might become politicized. Good call. Getting back to the original request ... "...recipes for meals that they believe provide proper nutrition with heavy and/or moderate workload swimmers." I’ve had similar questions as I get back in the water and try to balance over-training and over-eating. This link was helpful:www.livestrong.com/.../ It says swimmers need 0.55 to 0.8g per lb. of body weight of protein, according to the American Dietetic Association – so, a 150-lb. swimmer needs 82 to 120g of protein a day. For carbohydrates, the American Dietetic Association recommends 2.3 to 3.6g per lb. of body weight a day - thus, a 150-lb. swimmer would need 345 to 540g. A Google search for “swimming recipes” turns up some ideas, including: www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx This essay has ideas on how to get carbs and protein into the diet: www.sasoswimming.org/Swim Nutrition.pdf Here’s another:www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx Finally, here’s a word on over-training and nutrition, which has my attention just now: www.pponline.co.uk/.../recovery-how-the-right-nutrition-can-help-prevent-overtraining-41278
  • marcoab3, a bottle of E3Live lasts about a week because I fill up a jigger and swig it down in the morning. They tell you to start with 1TBS daily. It is a bit on the expensive side, but I find my order lasts a while, and it's worth it to me because it's the only thing I've tried that keeps my stamina and energy up and the winter chills at bay.
  • Varna01, E3Live is not a supplement, it's a food. It's lake algae from the Pacific Northwest that has a lot of concentrated nutrients, which I use in place of regular vitamins, and it's kind of like drinking pulverized seaweed, which I guess you could also do LOL. I'm not selling it or telling anyone else to use it, just that it works for me and I feel better when I use it.
  • james, you will NEVER find a "guide" on nutrition that actually works for better than average athletes. no matter what the sport and especially swimming. i had 30g of protien by the time i finished breakfast this morning. yes im 25lbs more than what you show but at 1/4th by 8am on protein and 130+g of carbs. breakfast during the week is not a big meal for me either. there are 2 major factors: 1) distance in workout 2) effort for that distance - factual determination of this value in calories is currently not possible i have yet to find a "nutritionist" that is a good enough athlete to comprehend what average athletes truly need never mind the upper end group. when i see/read stories about phelps/lochte eating 10-12-14,000 calories a day i reply with "is that all?"
  • at the upper end of the ladder, elite competitive swimmers eat. and eat a lot. abnormal amounts of food. and thats the women. the men...bring on the brontosaurus burgers by the tray, go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and get asked to leave, level of eating. i call it the "seefood diet". i see food, i eat it the 40/30/30 (carbs/protien/fat) ratio isnt that far off of what it can take to succeed. nowadays with the great advances in pre/during/post workout drinks/bars allows some the of jaw soreness to go down from the chowing of calories. and they are a true advantage to any level of athlete. not only do they help your body get what it needs but when it needs it. (let's not mention beer and male college swimmers. 6pks and cases dont describe the realm of quantity. use kegs and yes plural.) be smart, be informed but most of all listen to what your body needs. if you find yourself standing in front of the pantry with a spoon in the peanutbutter jar and eyes on the honey....dont feel alone. just try not to finish a full jar (of each) in 1 try. (yes it can happen)
  • Try to eat a wide variety of unprocessed foods. Most foods in a box or bag come from a factory and are sustained till purchase with chemical crap...... I know it can be challenging to find quality, fresh fruits and vegetables year around, but I figure this is still better that what comes out of the typical cafeteria, factory, or resturant in most places. I agree with Bobinator - to the extent possible cut out processed foods. Additionally, one training guide I read (triathlon) indicated that to maximize muscle building after middle age, shift your body to an alkaline state by consuming alkaline foods. Google alkaline and acidic foods to see which foods are alkaline and which ones are acidic. Most veggies (especially spinach) are alkaline and most meat and cheese is acidic, but there are exceptions and other food types too (fruit, nuts, grains etc.). You don't have to eat exclusively alkaline foods and can offset acidic food consumption by eating alkaline foods. You can check your body's alkalinity by testing your urine pH every so often with litmus paper (although I've never done it).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    james, you will NEVER find a "guide" on nutrition that actually works for better than average athletes. no matter what the sport and especially swimming. there are 2 major factors: 1) distance in workout 2) effort for that distance - factual determination of this value in calories is currently not possible i have yet to find a "nutritionist" that is a good enough athlete to comprehend what average athletes truly need never mind the upper end group. Unfortunately I have to agree with you on above mentioned. Indeed distance and efforts to take that distance, as well as other additional hard/moderate excercises during dry-land trainings are difficult to transform into calories intake. I am also reading a lot about the latest trend to intake more fat instead of carbs to increase energy levels and overall strength (www.marksdailyapple.com/.../ - a new paradigm in humans methabolism, so the nutrition subject is quite a mess. That's why instead of listening of various nutritionist opinions, I do believe it is better to learn from daily life of actual athletes (competitive swimmers) and from their 1st hand experience.
  • considering that my mother had her triple bypass heart surgery in that hospital, it hit a little close to home. but the reality is it had nothing to do with the ice cream and everything with the shake makers. which is more scary?