Proper Nutrition

Former Member
Former Member
I have searched throughout the forum and found little information about nutrition and supplements subjects suitable for swimmers. Generally I am against any supplement to improve overall capabilities of a swimmer. However its not always easy to maintain proper nutrition levels due other daily activities, especially with juniors when they are at school and have too many whims at the same time. So I am starting this thread with hope that any of you could share their favourite and sometimes perhaps "weird" recipes for meals that they believe provide proper nutrition with heavy and/or moderate workload swimmers. Meals-to-go recipes and budget for that relevant recipe are very welcomed. And if you are also able to provide data on what and how many elements such as proteins/carbs/iron/calcium etc shall be consumed by that recipe, I will be speachless :)! (last one is of course is just a too big wish). Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    "Proper nutrition" is the nexus of superstitions, anxieties, and fads. Like, what are you even talking about, being "against any supplement?" You know that supplements still exist if you're against them, right? You know supplements are usually just some nutrients isolated from food, right? Just eat food like a normal person. You'll be fine. I don't want argue and turn this thread in to dispute. I've mentioned already that I don't consider those who take supplements are doing something wrong, but just that we can't be sure whether given supplement is good or bad. This is bln. $ industry and often producers do unthinkable things while chasing the profit. Take a look at below two links to understand what I meant: informed-sport.com/.../Anti-Doping-Backgrounder.pdf www.forbes.com/.../ Since this is General swimming related discussion forum my intention was to exchange ideas and learn new tricks and recipes for proper nutrition. For an example there are different types of carbs - low and high on sugar, simple carbs and complex carbs. And not all of them can be mixed to make still tasty meal. Or if oatmeal is good - you can't eat everyday oatmeal, so perhaps one may want to try something similar which would be healthy and tasty. Here is my recipe contribution for good meal: - Millet porridge Ingredients: 1 cup millet grains 3 cups water 50 g of butter some sugar for taste salt 1. Millet cereals should be cleaned with boiled water. Pour 1 cup of cereal in a saucepan and pour 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Pour cereal along with the water into a strainer and wash well under running water. 2. Now return it into a saucepan, add salt, sugar and pour 2 cups of water (ratio 1:2). It is this ratio that will give you the desired result. If water is less, the porridge will be too dry, if more - it becomes viscous. Put it on medium heat and do not cover the lid. 2. In about 10 minutes after boiling, when the water at the same level as the millet, add some butter (1-2 tablespoon size) by spreading on the surface. Without butter you can't achieve crumbly consistency. 3. Close the pan with a lid and turn off the plate. The porridge need stay for half an hour and do not open the lid, cause it must absorb the remaining water and swell. After that the porridge can be eaten as a separate dish or as a side dish. 100 gr. of above meal provide you (close to oatmeal): Fat 3.2 g Sodium 238.7 mg Carbohydrate 71.8 g Dietary Fiber 6.7 g Sugars 12 g Protein 12.8 g
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    "Proper nutrition" is the nexus of superstitions, anxieties, and fads. Like, what are you even talking about, being "against any supplement?" You know that supplements still exist if you're against them, right? You know supplements are usually just some nutrients isolated from food, right? Just eat food like a normal person. You'll be fine. I don't want argue and turn this thread in to dispute. I've mentioned already that I don't consider those who take supplements are doing something wrong, but just that we can't be sure whether given supplement is good or bad. This is bln. $ industry and often producers do unthinkable things while chasing the profit. Take a look at below two links to understand what I meant: informed-sport.com/.../Anti-Doping-Backgrounder.pdf www.forbes.com/.../ Since this is General swimming related discussion forum my intention was to exchange ideas and learn new tricks and recipes for proper nutrition. For an example there are different types of carbs - low and high on sugar, simple carbs and complex carbs. And not all of them can be mixed to make still tasty meal. Or if oatmeal is good - you can't eat everyday oatmeal, so perhaps one may want to try something similar which would be healthy and tasty. Here is my recipe contribution for good meal: - Millet porridge Ingredients: 1 cup millet grains 3 cups water 50 g of butter some sugar for taste salt 1. Millet cereals should be cleaned with boiled water. Pour 1 cup of cereal in a saucepan and pour 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Pour cereal along with the water into a strainer and wash well under running water. 2. Now return it into a saucepan, add salt, sugar and pour 2 cups of water (ratio 1:2). It is this ratio that will give you the desired result. If water is less, the porridge will be too dry, if more - it becomes viscous. Put it on medium heat and do not cover the lid. 2. In about 10 minutes after boiling, when the water at the same level as the millet, add some butter (1-2 tablespoon size) by spreading on the surface. Without butter you can't achieve crumbly consistency. 3. Close the pan with a lid and turn off the plate. The porridge need stay for half an hour and do not open the lid, cause it must absorb the remaining water and swell. After that the porridge can be eaten as a separate dish or as a side dish. 100 gr. of above meal provide you (close to oatmeal): Fat 3.2 g Sodium 238.7 mg Carbohydrate 71.8 g Dietary Fiber 6.7 g Sugars 12 g Protein 12.8 g
Children
No Data