Proper Nutrition

Former Member
Former Member
I have searched throughout the forum and found little information about nutrition and supplements subjects suitable for swimmers. Generally I am against any supplement to improve overall capabilities of a swimmer. However its not always easy to maintain proper nutrition levels due other daily activities, especially with juniors when they are at school and have too many whims at the same time. So I am starting this thread with hope that any of you could share their favourite and sometimes perhaps "weird" recipes for meals that they believe provide proper nutrition with heavy and/or moderate workload swimmers. Meals-to-go recipes and budget for that relevant recipe are very welcomed. And if you are also able to provide data on what and how many elements such as proteins/carbs/iron/calcium etc shall be consumed by that recipe, I will be speachless :)! (last one is of course is just a too big wish). Thanks!
Parents
  • I used to rarely cook. Proper nutrition was an archilles heel for me. We ate out all the time. But we are on the eve of completing our kitchen remodel, and suddenly I have cooked every meal since 02/20/15 except two (husband's taco night and leftover night). I do think it has made a pronounced effect on the overall improvement in nutritional value (anything would, over fast food and quasi-fast food!) and eventually the budget as well. Rather than give specific meal plans, I have a "solution" to the dilemma of youngsters in the house - or essentially how to accommodate YOUR eating with competing family needs. Here is the rule we set up: NO ONE COMPLAINS TO THE COOK! A meal for the FAMILY means you may not like everything that is put on the table. As the main cook, I try to vary the meal each day so you may really like some things one day, and not like things on other days. If you don't cook, you don't get to complain. (This was in response to Day 2, 02/21 when the girls said they don't want steak, husband said he didn't want fish or chicken. I blew up and yelled NO ONE COMPLAINS! WE EAT EVERYTHING! YOU ONLY COMPLAIN IF IT'S SPOILED! Everyone got the point and have been all compliments since then.) This point was immediately accepted since we already employ it on FAMILY vacations. No one complains they have to sightsee instead of going to the beach. We will hit some of the things you want to do, but someone else wants to go look at pictures of naked women in a museum. Stop complaining. I use allreceipes.com. You can get the nutritional value with the recipe! My husband thinks if I made something up, it won't taste good. So I don't argue with him about it, and print out the recipe and put it prominently where he can see that I am following an independent 3rd party so therefore it must taste good. I try to plan out 1/2 the week at a time, and that helps in varying the diet plus hitting common sense nutrition requirements. I don't believe above this that I need a Michael Phelpsian diet to perform well as a masters athlete.
  • I used to rarely cook. Proper nutrition was an archilles heel for me. We ate out all the time. But we are on the eve of completing our kitchen remodel, and suddenly I have cooked every meal since 02/20/15 except two (husband's taco night and leftover night). I do think it has made a pronounced effect on the overall improvement in nutritional value (anything would, over fast food and quasi-fast food!) and eventually the budget as well. Rather than give specific meal plans, I have a "solution" to the dilemma of youngsters in the house - or essentially how to accommodate YOUR eating with competing family needs. Here is the rule we set up: NO ONE COMPLAINS TO THE COOK! A meal for the FAMILY means you may not like everything that is put on the table. As the main cook, I try to vary the meal each day so you may really like some things one day, and not like things on other days. If you don't cook, you don't get to complain. (This was in response to Day 2, 02/21 when the girls said they don't want steak, husband said he didn't want fish or chicken. I blew up and yelled NO ONE COMPLAINS! WE EAT EVERYTHING! YOU ONLY COMPLAIN IF IT'S SPOILED! Everyone got the point and have been all compliments since then.) This point was immediately accepted since we already employ it on FAMILY vacations. No one complains they have to sightsee instead of going to the beach. We will hit some of the things you want to do, but someone else wants to go look at pictures of naked women in a museum. Stop complaining. I use allreceipes.com. You can get the nutritional value with the recipe! My husband thinks if I made something up, it won't taste good. So I don't argue with him about it, and print out the recipe and put it prominently where he can see that I am following an independent 3rd party so therefore it must taste good. I try to plan out 1/2 the week at a time, and that helps in varying the diet plus hitting common sense nutrition requirements. I don't believe above this that I need a Michael Phelpsian diet to perform well as a masters athlete.
Children
No Data