Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    By the way, there is nothing at all medically wrong with me. It is just a common physiological reaction to extremely intense work-outs, where the body feels it is under attack and defends itself. I've personally done many intense workouts through my life, and never felt the way you've described. Therefore if it's not a medical issue in your case, then perhaps it's psychological, and you should see a psychologist. Another possible factor is improper breathing, described here, a rather common affliction. Usually asthmatics are not able to hold their breath very long, and practicing proper breathing can be helpful.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    By the way, there is nothing at all medically wrong with me. It is just a common physiological reaction to extremely intense work-outs, where the body feels it is under attack and defends itself. I've personally done many intense workouts through my life, and never felt the way you've described. Therefore if it's not a medical issue in your case, then perhaps it's psychological, and you should see a psychologist. Another possible factor is improper breathing, described here, a rather common affliction. Usually asthmatics are not able to hold their breath very long, and practicing proper breathing can be helpful.
Children
No Data