Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The point is that you didn't have asthma symptoms due to chlorine, i.e. caused by chlorine and other chemicals in the water which is what this topic is about, as there is actually something medically wrong with you.I can also have asthma symptoms from chlorine without exercising, eg, in an indoor water park where they sometimes use huge amounts of chlorine. The symptoms are the same. My point is that there can be other things going on at the same time or totally separately. If one has asthma like symptoms from swimming, which is what the OP's question was about, there can be various causes, it might be from chlorine or other causes or multiple inter-related causes. I see nothing at all wrong with people reading this thread learning about these other factors, rather than assuming it can only be from chlorine, as I once did. By the way, there is nothing at all medically wrong with me. It is just a common physiological reaction to extremely intense work-outs, where the body feels it is under attack and defends itself. In fact, several of the physiological reactions are identical, whether the bodily stress is caused by a virus, a chemical such as chlorine, or from the self-inflicted physical stress of an extreme work-out. As one attains higher and higher levels of fitness and endurance, it takes ever more intense extreme work-outs to provoke such a reaction.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    The point is that you didn't have asthma symptoms due to chlorine, i.e. caused by chlorine and other chemicals in the water which is what this topic is about, as there is actually something medically wrong with you.I can also have asthma symptoms from chlorine without exercising, eg, in an indoor water park where they sometimes use huge amounts of chlorine. The symptoms are the same. My point is that there can be other things going on at the same time or totally separately. If one has asthma like symptoms from swimming, which is what the OP's question was about, there can be various causes, it might be from chlorine or other causes or multiple inter-related causes. I see nothing at all wrong with people reading this thread learning about these other factors, rather than assuming it can only be from chlorine, as I once did. By the way, there is nothing at all medically wrong with me. It is just a common physiological reaction to extremely intense work-outs, where the body feels it is under attack and defends itself. In fact, several of the physiological reactions are identical, whether the bodily stress is caused by a virus, a chemical such as chlorine, or from the self-inflicted physical stress of an extreme work-out. As one attains higher and higher levels of fitness and endurance, it takes ever more intense extreme work-outs to provoke such a reaction.
Children
No Data