Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    In addition to chlorine sensitivity, people may also want to look into vasomotor rhinitis, also known as excercise-induced rhinitis, and exercise-induced asthma. If you have cold or asthma symptoms especially after very hard work-outs, you may experience these symptoms. See your doctor, treat the symptoms with same typical meds for allergies and asthma, and get proper rest after hard work-outs so your body can rebuild higher fitness levels. The symptoms usually diminish and go away as your fitness and endurance are built up. Basically, the body is under great stress and may think it is under attack and has to fight back. Oftentimes the symptoms start right after or even during a work-out or they may be delayed for an hour or so. There's also the possibilty of symptoms occuring 24-hours after hard work-outs, which is a rebound effect, whereby the body wants more of the chemicals produced during the work-out. Exercise addiction.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    In addition to chlorine sensitivity, people may also want to look into vasomotor rhinitis, also known as excercise-induced rhinitis, and exercise-induced asthma. If you have cold or asthma symptoms especially after very hard work-outs, you may experience these symptoms. See your doctor, treat the symptoms with same typical meds for allergies and asthma, and get proper rest after hard work-outs so your body can rebuild higher fitness levels. The symptoms usually diminish and go away as your fitness and endurance are built up. Basically, the body is under great stress and may think it is under attack and has to fight back. Oftentimes the symptoms start right after or even during a work-out or they may be delayed for an hour or so. There's also the possibilty of symptoms occuring 24-hours after hard work-outs, which is a rebound effect, whereby the body wants more of the chemicals produced during the work-out. Exercise addiction.
Children
No Data