Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I ran short of breath during my moderate freestyle warmup today, had to tread water for a bit, totally changed my plans to backstroke, then cut the session way short. This was the first day in a different outdoor pool than usual, which I've been planning to use while kids inundated the main city pool for the summer, but was not happy with this. Afterwards I asked a lifeguard if the chlorine levels were higher than usual. He said yes they were high today (5 ppm?), as they were low yesterday. I said that seems quite high, and he said they are usually 3 or 4, but didn't seem sure of the levels. I don't know much about this but thought the usual level should be 1 to 2. Regardless, I'm convinced, also from past experience, that the chlorine levels were too high, and the cause of the problem. Any ideas for what I can look into and follow up with the person in charge?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I ran short of breath during my moderate freestyle warmup today, had to tread water for a bit, totally changed my plans to backstroke, then cut the session way short. This was the first day in a different outdoor pool than usual, which I've been planning to use while kids inundated the main city pool for the summer, but was not happy with this. Afterwards I asked a lifeguard if the chlorine levels were higher than usual. He said yes they were high today (5 ppm?), as they were low yesterday. I said that seems quite high, and he said they are usually 3 or 4, but didn't seem sure of the levels. I don't know much about this but thought the usual level should be 1 to 2. Regardless, I'm convinced, also from past experience, that the chlorine levels were too high, and the cause of the problem. Any ideas for what I can look into and follow up with the person in charge?
Children
No Data