Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • It's not the chlorine itself that leads to poor air quality, but the chloramines that are formed when chlorine reacts with body fluids. Besides adequate ventilation, you could talk to the pool manager about enforcing showers before swimming and making sure kids are taken to the bathroom before swim lessons. Regarding your symptoms, it depends on whether you have had asthma before. If so, you can treat this like previous asthma symptoms. If you have never had asthma before, you should see you doctor to get a clear diagnosis and treatment plan. I don't get asthma symptoms from my pool but do leave feeling like I'm in the middle of ragweed season--sneezing, runny nose, itchy skin/ eyes too sometimes. I've heard similar things about chloramines. I don't have nearly the problem w/ the high school pool I also use and I'm not sure they're any more strict than the Y about pre-swim showering. But maybe maintenance is better....
  • It's not the chlorine itself that leads to poor air quality, but the chloramines that are formed when chlorine reacts with body fluids. Besides adequate ventilation, you could talk to the pool manager about enforcing showers before swimming and making sure kids are taken to the bathroom before swim lessons. Regarding your symptoms, it depends on whether you have had asthma before. If so, you can treat this like previous asthma symptoms. If you have never had asthma before, you should see you doctor to get a clear diagnosis and treatment plan. I don't get asthma symptoms from my pool but do leave feeling like I'm in the middle of ragweed season--sneezing, runny nose, itchy skin/ eyes too sometimes. I've heard similar things about chloramines. I don't have nearly the problem w/ the high school pool I also use and I'm not sure they're any more strict than the Y about pre-swim showering. But maybe maintenance is better....
Children
No Data