Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
Parents
  • I'll say this... I was hospitalized for asthma as a kid. I'm 54 now and have really grown out of it and haven't really gotten 'regular' attacks since my 20s. There are triggers though and I do get one now and then...and chlorine is one of my triggers. I've been athletic my whole life. But, in my early 20s I lifeguarded at a pool that used chlorine in gas form. A couple of times we experience leaks and it did trigger an attack. If you're pool is small they're probably not using chlorine gas...but if they've had a spill recently, or anything else that could cause significant amounts of it to vaporize (used it for cleaning?)...maybe that could cause the attacks. Dan
  • I'll say this... I was hospitalized for asthma as a kid. I'm 54 now and have really grown out of it and haven't really gotten 'regular' attacks since my 20s. There are triggers though and I do get one now and then...and chlorine is one of my triggers. I've been athletic my whole life. But, in my early 20s I lifeguarded at a pool that used chlorine in gas form. A couple of times we experience leaks and it did trigger an attack. If you're pool is small they're probably not using chlorine gas...but if they've had a spill recently, or anything else that could cause significant amounts of it to vaporize (used it for cleaning?)...maybe that could cause the attacks. Dan
Children
No Data