Subacromial Bursitis - Advice?

Does anyone have some good advice for dealing with subacromial bursitis? I have recently been diagnosed - based on an ultrasound and discussion with my very good sports medicine doc - and am trying to set up a plan to get over this problem. Thanks......
  • I had one steroid injection into the space and it went away immediately. Followed up with strengthening. I haven't had a problem since - about 15 months. Also, I breathe on the left and it was my right shoulder. My doctor, who treats a lot of swimmers, told me to breathe on my right side. Awkward, but doable.
  • I had a cortisone shot 22 years ago for bursitis. Wasn't allowed to swim for 2 weeks, but I felt like a new person almost immediately. I fixed my freestyle stroke have been pain free since. Also, I have to bi-lateral breathe, or else I'll go crazy.
  • Thank you both for the suggestions! I do breathe bi-laterally; but am going more to my right now (where bursitis is) to see if that helps. Have also talked to my sports medicine doc and he will do a cortisone shot whenever I think I am ready for one; and am going back to my PT to see if there are some further stretching-strengthening stuff we should be considering. Fingers crossed that all of this works......
  • Assuming that this is aggravated by the repetitive motion of swimming, your problem may not lie in how you breathe (especially since you mention that you do breathe bilaterally). It is hard to tell without being able to see you swim and without knowing your full swimming history. There might be a lack of symmetry in your stroke, or a specific,repetitive motion you are making on one side of your body may be what is irritating your shoulder. Have you had a coach check out your stroke? Getting other opinions is always good, and a stroke analysis - by someone who specializes in technique, of course - is a good way to determine what, if anything, you are doing to cause the pain. If it helps, this is a good article by physical therapist Ryn Lister that you can check out:www.swimspire.com/.../ Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • I really appreciate your suggestion, article, & good wishes! I actually have had our local USMS/USA Swimming coach (who is very good & well respected) look at my stroke, & we went over the video together - no problems. And I liked the article + the link to some further stretches & strengthening. My goal is to focus more on strengthening; put more kicking into my workout for a while; and see how I am doing shoulder-wise with these changes. Thanks so much......
  • Happy it was helpful! Incorporating more kicking into the workout is a great idea - especially to make sure that you are not putting too much pressure on the other arm/shoulder as you wait for this one to heal. Good luck!