arthritis in the shoulder...just diagnosed! AHH!

Former Member
Former Member
I have pain in my right shoulder/arm and a X-ray said I have arthritis in the joint space in my shoulder. It aches in my tricep which is weird if it is arthritis in my shoulder!!?? I haven't swam in 3 weeks. Going to lay off until the irritation subsides some more. Doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg 2x daily. It is an anti-inflammatory drug. It seems to be helping a little. I am wondering about competitive masters swimming? I have been doing this for 3 years and I am afraid my competitive days may have to be behind me. : ( Does anyone else have arthritis in their shoulder? or anything similar they are dealing with? I am sure it varies with each individual. However, how much yardage can one do before it hurts and you have to quit? I was trying to swim through the pain and it just got way to aggravated. I have to learn when enough is enough. It is hard because my brain wants my body to be able to keep going...push through it. I have to stop that cause now i am out of the pool trying to heal what i have done to it!! Any help/suggestions on what i can expect would be welcome. What have you been through with this? I love swimming and will not stop swimming. I just afraid trying to do distance and speed are over! Please tell me what you think??? Thanks : ) (btw I am 51 )
Parents
  • It sucks getting old.... Let's dispel this myth right now...when it comes to swimming, shoulder issues are not usually age-specific! Shoulder issues are often caused by poor technique. It doesn't matter if you swim once per week or four times per week, nor whether you are 18 years old or 80 - if you're swimming repetitively using incorrect technique, you will be at risk for developing shoulder problems. Gull suggested that the OP consult an orthopedist to see what is wrong, which is good advice in this particular case since it's in a later stage of pain. But so many swimmers could save themselves that trip to the doctor and money wasted if they focused on technique and got outside help to evaluate their stroke as soon as they started experiencing pain. This is the first step towards figuring out the root cause of the problem.
  • It sucks getting old.... Let's dispel this myth right now...when it comes to swimming, shoulder issues are not usually age-specific! Shoulder issues are often caused by poor technique. It doesn't matter if you swim once per week or four times per week, nor whether you are 18 years old or 80 - if you're swimming repetitively using incorrect technique, you will be at risk for developing shoulder problems. Gull suggested that the OP consult an orthopedist to see what is wrong, which is good advice in this particular case since it's in a later stage of pain. But so many swimmers could save themselves that trip to the doctor and money wasted if they focused on technique and got outside help to evaluate their stroke as soon as they started experiencing pain. This is the first step towards figuring out the root cause of the problem.
Children
No Data