arthritis in the shoulder...just diagnosed! AHH!

Former Member
Former Member
I have pain in my right shoulder/arm and a X-ray said I have arthritis in the joint space in my shoulder. It aches in my tricep which is weird if it is arthritis in my shoulder!!?? I haven't swam in 3 weeks. Going to lay off until the irritation subsides some more. Doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg 2x daily. It is an anti-inflammatory drug. It seems to be helping a little. I am wondering about competitive masters swimming? I have been doing this for 3 years and I am afraid my competitive days may have to be behind me. : ( Does anyone else have arthritis in their shoulder? or anything similar they are dealing with? I am sure it varies with each individual. However, how much yardage can one do before it hurts and you have to quit? I was trying to swim through the pain and it just got way to aggravated. I have to learn when enough is enough. It is hard because my brain wants my body to be able to keep going...push through it. I have to stop that cause now i am out of the pool trying to heal what i have done to it!! Any help/suggestions on what i can expect would be welcome. What have you been through with this? I love swimming and will not stop swimming. I just afraid trying to do distance and speed are over! Please tell me what you think??? Thanks : ) (btw I am 51 )
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I suspect that many if not most of us would have evidence of arthritis on plain films of the shoulder. That may not be the cause of your symptoms. I would consult with an orthopedist who specializes in sports medicine. He or she can decide whether an MRI is warranted. You might also be a candidate for physical therapy. BTW there have been numerous threads on this subject over the years. Do a search on this forum and check them out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I suspect that many if not most of us would have evidence of arthritis on plain films of the shoulder. That may not be the cause of your symptoms. I would consult with an orthopedist who specializes in sports medicine. He or she can decide whether an MRI is warranted. You might also be a candidate for physical therapy. BTW there have been numerous threads on this subject over the years. Do a search on this forum and check them out.
Children
No Data