arthritis in the shoulder...just diagnosed! AHH!

Former Member
Former Member
I have pain in my right shoulder/arm and a X-ray said I have arthritis in the joint space in my shoulder. It aches in my tricep which is weird if it is arthritis in my shoulder!!?? I haven't swam in 3 weeks. Going to lay off until the irritation subsides some more. Doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg 2x daily. It is an anti-inflammatory drug. It seems to be helping a little. I am wondering about competitive masters swimming? I have been doing this for 3 years and I am afraid my competitive days may have to be behind me. : ( Does anyone else have arthritis in their shoulder? or anything similar they are dealing with? I am sure it varies with each individual. However, how much yardage can one do before it hurts and you have to quit? I was trying to swim through the pain and it just got way to aggravated. I have to learn when enough is enough. It is hard because my brain wants my body to be able to keep going...push through it. I have to stop that cause now i am out of the pool trying to heal what i have done to it!! Any help/suggestions on what i can expect would be welcome. What have you been through with this? I love swimming and will not stop swimming. I just afraid trying to do distance and speed are over! Please tell me what you think??? Thanks : ) (btw I am 51 )
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I was in an accident 3 years ago which broke my shoulder--to the surgeon's surprise the rotator cuff was not injured. As a result I have pins/screws holding 'stuff' in place. My type of injury increases the chance of arthritis in the joint. My shoulder feels somewhat stiff (especially during backstroke) and I have pain in the tricep. But neither are so bad I feel as if I should go back to doctor. After physical therapy I had about 97 or 98% range of motion, so I don't think the stiffness and pain are due to a lack of range of motion. About a year ago I started taking glucosimine and condrotin. I can tell a difference. The supplement may be something to consider. About 40% of people taking glucosimine and condrotin do not see any positive effects. I've tried several different brands and believe one works better for me than others. So, if you do try the supplement and don't get positive effects don't assume you are in the 40%, try another brand. All the best.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I was in an accident 3 years ago which broke my shoulder--to the surgeon's surprise the rotator cuff was not injured. As a result I have pins/screws holding 'stuff' in place. My type of injury increases the chance of arthritis in the joint. My shoulder feels somewhat stiff (especially during backstroke) and I have pain in the tricep. But neither are so bad I feel as if I should go back to doctor. After physical therapy I had about 97 or 98% range of motion, so I don't think the stiffness and pain are due to a lack of range of motion. About a year ago I started taking glucosimine and condrotin. I can tell a difference. The supplement may be something to consider. About 40% of people taking glucosimine and condrotin do not see any positive effects. I've tried several different brands and believe one works better for me than others. So, if you do try the supplement and don't get positive effects don't assume you are in the 40%, try another brand. All the best.
Children
No Data